VSlL on 1.25.16, cant tolerate foods yet.... lots of pain and mucos

brndvnk
on 2/8/16 7:59 am
VSG on 01/25/16

Hi.  I was sleeved on 1.25.16.  on 2.4.16 was moved to stage 2 in my diet.  I was so excited to chew something again!  That night I tried a scrambled egg mixed with milk.  It did not go well.  I wasnt too concerned because it was the 1st day.  The next day I had a tablespoon of PB for breakfast.  That went well.  1/2 a banana for am snack, that went well.  I tried another egg at lunch.  Was a no go.  I was making sure to chew everything properly and well.  That night I had a pureed soup.  That was thin but went OK.  Fast forward to today.  This morning I got up and was taking my meds and everything came back up along with lots of mucus.  Thick, very think mucus.  And its been like that ever since.  Lots of pain in my rib cage.  I can't even keep water down.  I have an email into my surgeon, he is currently in surgery. 

Anyone have any experience with things like this?

emelar
on 2/8/16 8:40 am - TX

Even though your program cleared you to move to the next stage of food, it doesn't sound like your stomach is ready.  And now it's upset.  Go back to your last stage, full liquids or purees, and stay there for 24 hours.  And when you try food again, avoid eggs for now.  Try some tuna or chicken salad, and keep it very moist, eat very small amounts.

hollykim
on 2/8/16 11:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2016 at 3:59 PM Pacific Time, brndvnk wrote:

Hi.  I was sleeved on 1.25.16.  on 2.4.16 was moved to stage 2 in my diet.  I was so excited to chew something again!  That night I tried a scrambled egg mixed with milk.  It did not go well.  I wasnt too concerned because it was the 1st day.  The next day I had a tablespoon of PB for breakfast.  That went well.  1/2 a banana for am snack, that went well.  I tried another egg at lunch.  Was a no go.  I was making sure to chew everything properly and well.  That night I had a pureed soup.  That was thin but went OK.  Fast forward to today.  This morning I got up and was taking my meds and everything came back up along with lots of mucus.  Thick, very think mucus.  And its been like that ever since.  Lots of pain in my rib cage.  I can't even keep water down.  I have an email into my surgeon, he is currently in surgery. 

Anyone have any experience with things like this?

If you can't get down water, you could also have developed  a stricture, which is scar tissue forming and making it not possible for you to swallow. the mucus is what we call " sliming". It can happen from eating too much, too fast or just because your sleeve didn't tolerate it.

terri101b
on 2/8/16 11:51 am - Brunswick,, OH

Is the mucus bubbly...if it is that is not a good sign...call to get Dr appt..hope this clears up soon..

brndvnk
on 2/8/16 12:12 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

What does it mean if the mucus is bubbly?

NYMom222
on 2/8/16 2:23 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The mucous usually happens when the food is stuck and your body creates the mucuos to try and move it along. The question being though, did you eat too fast? Was the food too dry? Did you chew well enough? or some other reason. I have to say, I would never had made those choices of foods on Stage 2, they are all a little too dense. My Doc only would let us have poached or soft boiled eggs at first, and I can't imagine PB or banana going down easily.

Hope you heard from the Doc, let us know how you are doing...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

brndvnk
on 2/8/16 4:22 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

To be honest those were the things on the meal plan they gave me.  Along with cottage cheese,  canned diced sugar free fruit. refined hot cereal like cream of wheat, ground/pureed meat, mashed potatoes.  I did chew well.  I even used a baby spoon so I know the bites were not too big.  I made the egg with extra milk so it was nice and soft

It does feel like I have something stuck at the top of my throat.  Small pieces have come when I vomit, tho I;m not sure what it is.  Along with lots of foamy mucus.  My dr got back to me today and said go back to clear liquids for 24 to 48 hours.  I did just have part of a sugar free Popsicle and that so far is ok.  I've learned its the foamy mucus that makes me vomit so i spit it out instead of swallowing.  

I just feel totally awful.  And so thirsty.  I called my family dr to talk to her about dehydration.  She said if I don;t start to be able to keep things down by morning I should come in for some IV fluids. 

I would have went into the surgeon today but I live 70 miles away and we are in the middle of a blizzard...

rocky513
on 2/8/16 4:26 pm - WI

Stage two in my diet progression was  Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fat free re-fried beans with taco sauce,  ricotta cheese warmed up with a little marinara sauce and mozzarella, SF pudding.  I was in the full liquids/ very soft foods stage.  Try to stick with protein forward foods.

Bananas are very high in  sugar and calories.  Peanut butter is high calorie too and should not be eaten as a daily treat.  You can eat a ton of peanut butter (at 190 calories per 2 tablespoon serving) and gain LOTS of weight.  Most of us eat under 500 calories daily in the first months after surgery.  A spoon full of peanut butter is almost half the calories that a new post-op would normally eat in an entire day.  My NUT recommends adding peanut butter when you want to end the weight loss and enter maintenance.  

I agree with other posters that you are maybe pushing your food progression too fast.  Go back to liquids for a few days until your stomach settles down and then try VERY soft foods.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1342 views