Taking the first Step

Madre37
on 2/9/16 6:46 am

I am very new to this site and taking the first step of my journey to see a surgeon about weight loss surgery I was hoping that maybe someone could explain what this will involve I see the Dr for first time Feb 17. I was wondering how you determine which procedure to have. Any advice and help greatly appreciated Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions 

Madre37

peachpie
on 2/9/16 8:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Did you ask the office who scheduled you what the visit entails? Every place handles it a bit differently. I met with the bariatirc coordinator, the surgeon and nutritionist. The surgeon went over my history, the surgeries, my impressions etc. Nutritionist went over ,my eating habits, made suggestion for changes etc. The coordinator just went over the process with me again, reassured me etc. 

Which procedure depends on personal preference/discipline, your health situation, and the outcome you are seeking. Search the topic and read up a lot- this has been asked quiet a bit. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/9/16 10:27 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

It'll be more normal than you may imagine.  They'll take your weight just like the normal doc and put you in a room to talk.  Some docs require you attend a general discussion in a lager group which covers most basic questions.  Other docs will just talk to you about your personal issues, history with weight, and your WLS interest.  

Read and watch educational videos about VSG and RNY (my understanding is lap bands are not done much anymore).  Have a short list of questions to ask because it's easy to forget when there.  More than likely your doc will send you for some tests and also have some thoughts on a procedure that may be right for you.  

Per normal paperwork bring a list of your medications, family history, and past surgeries.  

Good luck

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/10/16 3:46 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Yellow TJ is spot on.  It's a good idea to get the list that Yellow TJ suggests together.  Everyone will ask for it and it will save time and stress on your part to hand it to them rather than trying to think it up each time. 

This guy was not my doctor but his videos are very instructive and can help you have a better discussion with your doctor. Most doctors have public info meetings once a month and those can be helpful.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/surgical-weight-loss-video/

The surgical videos start about half way down on the right. They are short.

Sharon

Most Active