Norovirus 4 yrs post op

alieden
on 2/12/16 4:17 am - Boca Raton, FL
RNY on 02/28/12

I got sick with the norovirus on Monday. Severe diarrhea, like peeing, and wretching wretching wretching. Because naturally I can't vomit what I ate because it's already passed through my pouch. I've had body aches, chills, sweats so bad my clothes are soaked. Scared to eat anything because, even though it's Thursday, I still get wretching, then an hour later, diarrhea that lasts intermittently for 4-6 hours. Finally, I can keep down fluids, and when about 12hrs pass without food and I think I can eat again and try it all starts over again. I'm miserable and weak and sleeping constantly. Drinking tons of gatorade and drinking the broth from chicken noodle soup. 

My questions are:

Has anyone else experienced norovirus after bypass?

Is it worse with people who have had a bypass?

Does it last longer?

Will I ever be able to eat again?

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/16 4:36 am, edited 2/11/16 8:36 pm

4 days is not good. 

Try activated charcoal, but at this point going to a doc and getting checked for C-diff maybe really good idea..

I would not take the charcoal if you can see the doc today... Call them ASAP.. C-Diff is not a joke... 

But if you can't see them - i would start activated charcoal. Capsules work much better for me..  Plus water Lots of mineral water or chicken stock.. Salt is needed... And watch for dehydration symbols. Severe runs may cause potasium deplition - that can be very dangerous. Even normies who get severe runs need IV sometimes to load them up on saline and potasium... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 2/12/16 5:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I've had it both before and after. It's the worst I've ever felt. But it wasn't any different after surgery, and I don't really see why it would be. It just takes time.

Have you seen your doctor? It could be something else, but if they're sure it's norovirus, it's just going to take a while to get over. I hope you feel better soon.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ChristineB
on 2/12/16 5:39 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

My husband (now PO RNY 12 yrs) had it. It lasted about the same time frame as you with the same symptoms. Norovirus is highly contagious and if your doctor is anything like ours they do not even want you to come into the office as it is easily spread to staff and other patients. It is the same bug that can hit a cruise ship and cause many people to get sick really fast.

I have had stomach bugs before and after RNY and have not seen any difference in how my body reacts to it. HALA B has given you some really good advice.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

alieden
on 2/12/16 5:41 am - Boca Raton, FL
RNY on 02/28/12

is there any special way to return to eating normally? i've heard different things from different people. some say you have to return to the diet you had PO, then as you feel comfortable graduate yourself up?

ChristineB
on 2/12/16 6:17 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

My DH just eased himself back into foods that he could tolerate. He really did no****ch his protein intake for a short while. Watch your water intake so you stay hydrated. You will know when you feel better and can go back to your PO diet.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Chilipepper
on 2/12/16 1:51 pm

I had it.  I was sick as a dog.  I did get it on a cruise.  Just keep hydrated.  It will pass. Powerade zero and saltines.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Grim_Traveller
on 2/12/16 2:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Chili's back!!!!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MAchick
on 2/14/16 7:16 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I got hit with the 24 hr bug Friday night. I had the VSG and never vomited so I didn't think I COULD vomit. Apparently I can, but it wasn't pretty, and it physically hurt. Violent wretching and peeing out of my butt. Almost passed out. I went to the hospital for a few liters of fluid, nausea meds, pain meds. Yesterday I literally slept all day, sipped on powerade zero and ate a few saltines. Today I still feel lousy, just trying not to get dehydrated again. 

Just be careful, because dehydration can take you quickly!! 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1436 views