VSG in Mexico 3/14/16....any helpful tips?

LisaP2016
on 2/12/16 6:10 pm
VSG on 03/14/16

my surgery is scheduled for 3/14/16...Because of the lengthy wait time for approval from insurance here where I live and the out of pocket cost even with insurance, I decided to have my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Fernando Garcia. I'm not taking anyone with me, but my niece lives in Southern California and will be staying with her for a week after my surgery...so I get to combine a little bit of my recovery with some lounging by the pool & soaking up some much needed sunshine.  Does anyone have any helpful tips? I'm supposed to start my high protein/low fat diet 10 days before surgery (protein shake for breakfast, 1 for lunch & a salad with some chicken, tuna etc for dinner).  

Sammy_85
on 2/12/16 6:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I had my surgery with Dr. Garcia 3 weeks ago and I had a great experience! You will be fine going it alone; the nurses and doctors are very attentive. There is a language barrier with a few nurses so unless you know Spanish you won't be able to have conversations with them but they understand English well enough that they will be able to address any concerns you have. After surgery make sure you start walking as soon as you are able to; it helps with nausea and pain tremendously. The Marriott hotel only accepts Pesos or credit cards, not US currency so you should take that into consideration. Other than that, just follow your pre and post op instructions and you'll do fine. I hope your surgery is as uneventful as mine was! Good luck!

LisaP2016
on 2/12/16 8:07 pm
VSG on 03/14/16

Thanks for the tip!  Usually when I go to Mexico on vacation...I bring alot of $1.00 bills for tips...I guess I can just use my card.

One question I do have and that has me a little freaked out is the hair loss.  Being overweight, one of the few things that I've always been confident about is my hair....I bought a big bottle of biotin from Costco.  I've heard that it takes some time to build in your system and really hoping that my hair loss won't be huge for me.

Congratulations on your surgery...looking forward to hearing more about your journey!

Sammy_85
on 2/12/16 8:31 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

You can tip in US currency, sorry I should have clarified that. If you purchase something from the hotel canteen, like water or Gatorade, they won't accept US, that's all.

I am worried about hair loss too but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to prevent it. Biotin will help your hair grow stronger but it won't prevent it from falling out. I had to stop taking it because I had a sensitivity to it and my face broke out in a red itchy rash. I don't think that is very common though. I'm just making sure I meet my protein goals and taking my vitamins and hopefully I won't lose too much hair. It all remains to be seen though!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions; I don't mind sharing my experience. Take care!

melisa7796
on 2/12/16 8:58 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

I was too the hair grows back.

Neesie57
on 2/12/16 9:47 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm 6 months post op and have lost no hair, so it doesn't happen to everyone.  Biotin won't help either.  Some people's bodies just react differently to anesthesia and the low calorie and low carb diet.  If you do lose some hair, it will grow back.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

cheapskate
on 2/13/16 7:02 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I lost hair, handfuls.... But I was so  busy getting skinny no one noticed!!! 

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/14/16 9:01 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

You and I are having our sleeves done the same day! Congrats and let's keep in touch.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

LisaP2016
on 2/16/16 9:07 am
VSG on 03/14/16

We'll be sleeve buddies! :) congratulations to you too!

Most Active