Realistic expectations

Willie H.
on 2/15/16 9:28 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Had surgery (VSG) August 2014. Lost close to 100 lbs my first year. Now, apparently unable to lose more weight. Started at 347 lbs and now keep fluctuating between 255lbs-249lbs. The good thing about the sleeve is that it does somewhat retard weight gain when you mess up where as before I could have easily put on 20 or more pounds.

Would love to say I have followed the program strictly but that would be a lie. I have weeks where I do stick to it and yet remain about 249-250 lbs but then I will lose focus and go off and gain a few pounds.

Makes me realize that the sleeve is just as promised- a "tool" to aid us in losing about 55-70% of the weight that we need to lose- of which I have done. If we want to lose more we have to work at it. My goal is still to get to 220 lbs but I have a hard time maintaining focus and consistency. I'll go to the gym for a week 4 or 5 days and then the next week only 1 or 2 days. I hate it that my old habits have returned but still I am blessed to have had the surgery, the weight loss and better health with no complications and off ALL medicines!  

Now I have to work on focusing and being consistent. A few veterans gave the wise suggestion in previous posts that in the beginning to follow the program strictly, do not test and do not cheat. I certainly and strongly agree with that. I did cheat in the beginning, I did test the waters so to speak and yes I still lost weight but the results are that later in this journey you'll still want to take shortcuts and you won't lose weight but actually can gain, and also you'll bemoan those 15-20 lbs you may have lost at the beginning which may have gotten you to your goal weight. 

So really, this truly is a journey where you'll get out of it, what you put into it. I'm not giving up, still have a way to go but my advice is; follow the program strictly while you still have the motivation and are seeing rapid results!

Yes, I'm back up on the horse, and I'm sure I'll fall off again but really, I don't have to. We don't have to-it's our choice daily in our decisions in what we eat, or how active we are. So yes, we should have realistic expectations, but don't use that as a crutch, we can still lose more weight and we can certainly continue to improve our health.

So take accountability for your weight loss and even more so-for your health.

Thanks, seems like every time I write it's therapeutic and I go on a tear!!!!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

roxytrim
on 2/15/16 10:00 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

All well learned nuggets of wisdom 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/15/16 10:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great post Willie. I hope some people pay attention.

I have no doubt you can buckle down and reach your goal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

DonnaMaria
on 2/15/16 11:56 am

Thank you. Great advise for a newbie like myself!

acbbrown
on 2/15/16 11:57 am - Granada Hills, CA

Maybe instead of getting off and on the same horse, look for  different horse. Try figuring it what your triggers are for falling off - warning signs so to speak. Work from the bottom up - deal with the underlying issues and the weight will start to resolve itself. Just trying to tackle the "stay on the damn horse" approach might be as you've seen, a never ending cycle. 

Pre and post op- I tried and experimented with every imaginable friggen horse until I finally joined OA and found the right horse. I had to become completely abstinent from all added sugar, flour, and personal binge foods in order to stay on track. It sounds restrictive but it's more freeing and liberation than I can even describe. 

If you've never considered OA, I'd highly recommend it. I dealt with 1) never getting to goal 2) a 70+ regain and 3) a subsequent 35 (and continuing) lb weight loss at almost 5 yrs out. Now the weight is just coming off with ease (and considering I have major food issues having once been 420 lbs - it's a damn miracle). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Willie H.
on 2/15/16 12:51 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Hmmm, thanks! Nvever conisdered O/A. Perhaps I'll look into my area to find one. I agree, I need to find the underlying reasons?

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/15/16 12:33 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Thanks for posting this, Willie.  Many of us are struggling to get to goal.  It doesn't get any easier, but it can be done.  When I weigh, measure and track everything I eat, it helps.  Exercise is great for health, but it won't make a long term difference in getting those pounds off.  Watching calorie intake is the way to lose weight.

I can commit to staying on plan during the week.  It's not difficult for me.  It's the weekends that throw me off track.  So Monday morning I get on the scale, look at an ugly number, then get serious again.  I gained weight over the holidays and I've almost lost everything I gained.  It's great to know that my sleeve STILL WORKS IF I USE IT PROPERLY. 

Hang in there 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

bklyn718
on 2/15/16 11:08 pm

This post is a great motivation for me surgery date was 12/28/15.

Most Active