The plague of Girl Scout Cookies!

Deanna798
on 2/21/16 9:39 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I saw my first cookie booth today.  My husband has been trying very hard to be good, so both of us cursed under our breath as we rushed past it.  While shopping today we saw the chocolate mint Power Crunch bars and picked up a box.  We also got a box of the peanut butter creme Power Crunch bars.  I think that will help us to avoid those damn cookies by replacing our very favorites.  I have had a track record for finishing a sleeve of Thin Mints in one sitting.  I will pray for strength of all of us in this dark time. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Joemac9408
on 2/21/16 10:30 am - Staten Island, NY
RNY on 02/04/15 with

Damn those things right to hell. I remember buying at least 4 boxes of Samoa's and eating a box over the course of a day. Kept those things in the fridge and grabbed a couple every time I went to refill my diet soda.  Glad those days are over. 

Surgery date: 2/4/15

Highest weight: 315. Pre-op diet weight: 289.  Surgery weight: 260.  Current weight: 138  Goal weight: 160 

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 2/21/16 11:06 am
VSG on 01/11/16

I've read in another forum to freeze the chocolate mint power bar 

peachpie
on 2/21/16 1:03 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Co workers have had these for sale for a few weeks. I have not bought any, I've been buying scratch off tickets to keep from having money available to spend on cookies. 

And I could easily have eaten a whole box, one sleeve at a time in a day. I loved the shortbread ones. I think I'm think I'm the only person  alive who hated thin mints

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CMR1075
on 2/22/16 7:26 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Nope...I hate thin mints lol. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/16 4:55 pm, edited 2/21/16 9:51 am

ok... You guys are not even one year post op.. And not at goal... You should see them as poison. 

Every time you see these cookies - take out and look at your pictures when you were at your high weight... Then look at the cookies again...back and forth... And walk away... Or remember the worst embarrassing moment you had while MO.. 

I have an image of me when I reached my high weight, it is burned in my brain. I can recall it every time I need to.  

Btw- the power crunch bars are only a bit better than kit-kats.  They are glorified candy bars.  

Don't look at them as you can't have them. Look at them as things you don't want. Poison. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Daisydoo02
on 2/21/16 5:18 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

FABULOUS advice Hala!!! I really hope a lot of the newbies read this and take your words/advice seriously.  I love the "poison" analogy, I might have to quote you one of these days if that is okay.  Again I really hope the newbies will take your advise (and see it as advice and someone who cares and is a Vet) and keep that in mind next time the "cookie" siren goes off.  And agreed, about the Power Crunch Bars, they are just chocolate/candy bars in disguise.  

Thank you for your sage advice and for posting your honesty 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Deanna798
on 2/21/16 5:29 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Some of us actually still struggle with food. I do look at is as poison,  but that doesn't mean I still don't want to eat them. I am also a former smoker,  I knew from the time I started smoking in the late 80s it would kill me.  I quit in 2012, I struggled against it for 23 years. 

Just because I know something is bad for me doesn't mean I don't want it still.  It's a constant struggle.  Your post is just basically saying  to a smoker "just quit", which makes sense,  but isn't always that easy.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/21/16 5:46 pm, edited 2/21/16 9:44 am

I get it... I've been there.  And exsmoker also. And every time I think about smoking and get good memory about it  coming - I start thinking about WHY it is a horrible habit. The nasty smell..the yellow teeth...the coughing every morning...  Making new mental conection in my brain... Cigarates= bab bad things.. 

Obsessing over cookies is really bad idea.  Trust me. 

How would you feel if that was post from an alcoholic remembering how great wine taste...? And sharing that with other alcoholics? And being happy they just got low alcohol cider.   This is how I see that.  

It got so strong for you you felt you needed to post about it.  I get impulses. But I don't let it to be my focus for next couple of hours.  I try to replace that with focusing on something else.  

I do get excited about new ribs recipe I am going to try to make in my Instant Pot.  

I am not attacking you. I am telling you that you are walking on a very thin line.  And you are only 6 months post op.. The cravings get much worse later on.  Trust me.  And once you at goal or underweight - you may cross the line.  Now is the time to train your brain why you don't want the cookies. Not when you are 1 Or 2 years post op. 

Good luck. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Deanna798
on 2/21/16 6:15 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

My food obsessing is something I'm working on everyday, I think the girl scout cookies was something that really hit me because it came up at work last week. My boss is a former cookie mom,  but her daughter is now in college, so none from her.  Someone asked about them and we all commented that we hadn't seen anyou yet. My neice used to sell them,  but didn't anymore. So when that stupid booth was in my face I ran quickly.  

I know you only wish the best,  and sometimes it's hard to wrap my poor, broken brain around it all.  Sometimes it smarts to hear it.  

Most Active