Whats heartburn feel like?

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 10:03 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

So, I know with VSG you shouldnt go that route if you have heart burn issues

I dont have any diagnosis of heart burn, and I dont even know if I have it. I do occasionally get a burning/hot sensation in the middle of chest normally if I havent eaten in a while. Instinctively it makes me crave carbs

Is that heart burn?

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/16 10:26 am - CA

That is the same experience I had prior to my RNY and it was horrible.   I went through a roll of tums a day and it would wake me up at night sometimes.   After I had RNY, I have never had heartburn again.   

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 10:30 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I rarely take anything medicine wise.

I've never paid it any mind as far as "do I have heartburn issues?" Its not bad enough to where im hurting or have seen a doctor

I have woken up in the middle of the night to bile in my mouth/throat that BURNSSSSS, but thats like.. once a year if that.

The chest discomfort between meals is not very often either, but does happen

In all the seminars, videos etc when it says "if you have heartburn or GERD, VSG makes it worse" Ive paid no mind.

Someone commented on one of my posts today saying that and for some reason the thought of "i do have some discomfort sometimes" came up

Possibly is my diet? Possibly is the powders I use before I workout for energy, etc. I feel its the later... Normally I have that discomfort after working out, I'd say

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/16 10:40 am, edited 3/23/16 3:41 am - CA

I would have it checked out further for a definitive diagnosis.  The same symptoms I had, my Father had.  He was dx with Esophageal Cancer in 2000 which was a result of years of heartburn.  He took PPI's and tums daily.   Since you want the VSG and it can make heartburn worse, you might want to have an EGD prior to making a final decision.    You don't want to have VSG and then realize after the fact you do have heartburn and it gets worse.  Definitely listen to the vets who have had VSG and what their experiences have been with heartburn and the procedure.  

Good luck, Chris!

Nik

MsBatt
on 3/23/16 7:42 pm

Yes, it could be your diet---can you relate these episodes to a particular food, or class of foods, like spicy/fatty/whatever? Reflux---where the bile comes up in your mouth---is often caused by a hiatal hernia, which is VERY common in overweight people. Often repairing the hernia 'cures' the reflux.

I recommend you consult with your PCP and figure out WHY you're having this and see if you can treat it before you get WLS. Also, over the years it's been my observation that it's people with really small sleeves who are most prone to developing reflux after WLS (or having worsening reflux, if they had it before.)

I have a full Duodenal Switch, which is a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass. Pre-op, I had horrific reflux---most nights I slept sitting up, it was so bad. Since the day of surgery, NO reflux! 12 years ago when I had my DS, surgeons were leaving larger Sleeves than most do today, and I rarely EVER saw anyone complain with reflux. Over time, as Sleeves got smaller and smaller in an attempt to prevent regain, the number of people complaining about reflux got higher and higher. 

lykapal
on 3/23/16 10:35 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I've had heartburn that led to reflux and gerd for 15 years. I think what you're describing is acid reflux. Heartburn normally doesn't happen until after eating. 

Heartburn feels like burning in your chest or throat, a full feeling of pressure in your chest and a bad taste in your mouth.

Acid reflux usually lasts longer (all day and night) and the symptoms are severe heartburn, regurgitation, bloating, burping, hiccups that don't let up, and nausea.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 10:39 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I feel like on those descriptions its neither lol. I have no idea!

lykapal
on 3/23/16 10:49 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I hope it's not reflux.   I can tell you from experience that it's just miserable. 

Oh, I don't know about you, but my surgeon insists on an upper endoscopy prior to surgery to rule out any esophageal damage that could cause problems post-op. Maybe talking to your surgeon's team is a good idea?

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 11:16 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I'll email them, its worth asking.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 11:22 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Just emailed my surgeons physician assistant about it. Just so people know, in the info packet they say the best way to ask questions and contact them is via email. Which I love, because I cant stand being on the phone. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1368 views