Waiting for surgery

dangeloc
on 4/4/16 10:31 pm

I am scheduled to go to my first seminar for gastric bypass. I want to know ballpark how long does it take from seminar to surgery? I have no known health issues except that I am at the 40% BMI and I can hardly walk, so health issues shouldn't hold me back. TY

seabexlose
on 4/5/16 12:54 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

It depends on what your insurance company requires and what your doctor requires.  Some people are required to have a 3-6 month medically supervised weight loss prior to being approved for surgery.  My insurance doesn't require that, but there were many things like a psych eval, nutritionist appt, sleep study and upper endoscopy that all had to be done prior to them submitting to insurance for approval. It took me a month to get all my pre-reqs done and another month to get approval from insurance.  Once that was done, I was able to be scheduled within a few weeks and am in the midst of my pre-op diet.  So, no great answer because there are lots of variables.

dangeloc
on 4/5/16 1:43 pm

Thankyou. I don't know what my insurance requires. I called them and they said just that you had to be above 40% BMI or 35% with a life threatening condition. I don't understand about dieting as if I could do that, I wouldn't NEED surgery, right? Sigh. My concern too about dieting is this- If I am just about at 40% BMI and lose, then would I no,  longer qualify?

Scarletstitches
on 4/5/16 9:34 pm

I was worried about that part too, since our insurance requires 6 months with the dietician first. However, at least with ours, a call to the ins co and the surgeons office said that it was your initial consultation weight that counted for meeting the 40 bmi condition. Definitely double check with yours, but I believe that part is fairly standard. 

Most Active