Insure Nutrition and protein supplements covered by insurance? What about vitamins?

kyhmm72
on 4/14/16 5:22 am
RNY on 06/14/16

I'm just wondering if anyone has used Insure Nutrition and gotten their protein supplements covered by insurance.  If so, has anyone been able to also get vitamins covered by insurance?  It seems like if protein supplements would be covered that vitamins would be as well, since they will forever go hand-in-hand.  

~Helen

Lap band - 8/2003
SW: 345
Lap band removed - 8/2013

RNY - 6/14/2016
SW: 315

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/14/16 6:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance plan is different. Call the customer service number on your card and ask what they cover.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

k9ophile
on 4/14/16 6:22 am

You'll have to check with your insurance. Mine did not cover any kind of nutrition such as Ensure, etc. because it was basically classified as food. Some vitamins were covered with a doctor's prescription and diagnosis. I found my FSA to be helpful. It helped me with taxes. Admittedly, it wasn't a lot, yet I'll take any tax break that I can.

My insurance for meds was different from my health insurance. If you get any kind of coverage, be grateful. I'm not saying this to be a smart ass. It's just very rare to have insurance pay for supplements and vitamins.

Talkingmountain
on 4/14/16 7:28 am
RNY on 12/28/15

Specialty items like protein shakes and vitamins which are prescribed by your doctor are tax deductible.  (Unfortunately I didn't think of this until recently, so I didn't save any of my 2015 receipts!).  Of course the total medical deductions have to reach a certain percent of your income to be eligible at all, but if you have fairly high medical expenses, your food and supplements can be included in them.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html#en_US_2015_p ublink1000179034

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/14/16 8:54 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Suggest - take Rx to your regular  pharmacy and ask them to run it through insurance.  see what happens. no one can say for sure what your plan covers without seeing the policy.

Sharon

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/14/16 9:06 am
RNY on 12/31/13

The link advertised on this site to have them send you protein shakes is a scam.  What they do is charge you for a very expensive "scar" cream that is covered and then send you protein drinks as a benefit.  

I have never seen an insurance actually cover protein drinks or vitamins that aren't prescription -- 

Vitamins after surgery are tax deductible as a medical expense however, as they are necessary after surgery.  I got a statement from the Cleveland Clinic to make sure I was covered claiming them.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kathyjs
on 4/14/16 11:23 am

I have to take 50,000 milligrams of Vitamin D which is by prescription but my insurance doesn't cover vitamins

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/14/16 11:27 am
RNY on 12/31/13

To be clear, however, that prescription is for vitamin D2 -- correct?  Not only that, but they are usually oil based pills?  

I understand that it may be better than nothing, but dry D3 is what is recommended by the ABMS -- because D2 is synthetic and oil based pills are malabsorbed.  

That is the problem I have found with prescription supplements -- counterintuitively they are usually the least appropriate for post- WLS patients.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/14/16 1:30 pm

I think this is a major scam. Company charges insurance a lot of money for specialty "scar creams" or other services like that, and sends you the cream (that is useless BTW) plus the protein shakes and sometimes vitamins. Some companies like that are being indited - and if the insurance company can prove that you benefited from the scam (free protein shakes) - they may ask you to pay them back the $$$ or even also charge you in conspiracy to commit fraud..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ChristineB
on 4/17/16 8:58 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

My insurance does not cover the food I buy and I have to eat that for the rest of my life . . . just sayin.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140