Initial Weight Loss Center Visit out of the way

dangeloc
on 4/19/16 12:32 pm

Good news, and bad. For the good news- After all the talk about the sleep study- i don't need one. I answered the questions correctly and my neck measured good? If that makes sense? and BTW- the answer to why you need a sleep study is this- Because they release you the day after surgery- you are home with no machines to monitor you and no nurse. So if you have sleep apnea AND are on pain meds, you could fall asleep and not wake up due to the PAIN MEDS!- anyway- don't need it

Second, I had my copy of my EGD with me and it is 1 year old in June, and so I don't even need THAT!

The problem is that I was honest about having been a bulimic and alcoholic. But I am clean and sober 6.5 years. Which is why I was honest- that should count as cured, right? Well... now I need a drug & alcohol eval and a psych eval to update my diagnosis and if my new diagnosis is at all related to an eating disorder, i am disqualified. I am confident I can be truthful and talk myself out of this one as I work my program really well and neither thing is an issue with me now. Then I just need to get 3 monthly weigh-ins, get cardiac clearance, lose a few pounds (not even a liquid diet is needed if I can lose 5% of my weight without it) and voila!

So let's hope my psych evals go OK, funny, the thing I was LEAST worried about!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/19/16 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On April 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM Pacific Time, dangeloc wrote:

Good news, and bad. For the good news- After all the talk about the sleep study- i don't need one. I answered the questions correctly and my neck measured good? If that makes sense? and BTW- the answer to why you need a sleep study is this- Because they release you the day after surgery- you are home with no machines to monitor you and no nurse. So if you have sleep apnea AND are on pain meds, you could fall asleep and not wake up due to the PAIN MEDS!- anyway- don't need it

Second, I had my copy of my EGD with me and it is 1 year old in June, and so I don't even need THAT!

The problem is that I was honest about having been a bulimic and alcoholic. But I am clean and sober 6.5 years. Which is why I was honest- that should count as cured, right? Well... now I need a drug & alcohol eval and a psych eval to update my diagnosis and if my new diagnosis is at all related to an eating disorder, i am disqualified. I am confident I can be truthful and talk myself out of this one as I work my program really well and neither thing is an issue with me now. Then I just need to get 3 monthly weigh-ins, get cardiac clearance, lose a few pounds (not even a liquid diet is needed if I can lose 5% of my weight without it) and voila!

So let's hope my psych evals go OK, funny, the thing I was LEAST worried about!

Even if you've previously talked yourself out of bullemia and it's no longer an issue, you'll want to keep a close eye on it during your new program. Disordered eating can and does still occur after WLS.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dangeloc
on 4/19/16 2:16 pm

Yup! I'm on it! I have lots of support!

Deanna798
on 4/19/16 1:19 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Most people who have weight loss surgery have eating disorders or one sort of another.  We all just need to be willing to work on it and come to terms with it.  I most certainly have an eating disorder.  Just be honest and willing to work through your problems.  I think being an alcoholic and sober for 6.5 years can show as the ability to deal with it. 

I honestly hope that you aren't disqualified because of it.  Good luck!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

dangeloc
on 4/19/16 2:17 pm

You're right! Face it, I think we're all food addicts!

hollykim
on 4/19/16 3:27 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 19, 2016 at 9:17 PM Pacific Time, dangeloc wrote:

You're right! Face it, I think we're all food addicts!

yes, and once an addict, always an addict. We are not " cured", just in remission. 

dangeloc
on 4/19/16 4:57 pm

Exactly! That's what worries me, like they will want to know I am no longer an alcoholic, but I know I'm ALWAYS an alcoholic, same with food. So we'll see!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/20/16 4:50 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Are you going to wait until after you finish all the evaluations to begin your 3 mo diet?  

Personally, I wouldn't wait.  If any of the psch eval are iffy, that you are being successful on a diet might help - plus you will be closer to WLS.

Sharon

dangeloc
on 4/20/16 6:31 am

Yes, but i had started yesterday, and now stopped because I'm only 10 pounds over the qualifying BMI and so I want to be "bulked" for my first official weigh-in. It's weird. I know they will remove bulimia nervosa from my record, but there are so many stupid ED's out there now, like "binge-eating", "night time eaters" really? Thanks for asking! I really love all this support

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/20/16 7:17 am, edited 4/20/16 12:17 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

If it's not one thing it's another.

Hang in there. 

Sharon

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1450 views