What. Difference IRON makes!!

kathkeb
on 4/25/16 9:44 pm, edited 4/25/16 10:21 pm

i had my Realize Band placed in June 2009.

I have not had any band related issues to speak of, and had normal labs for the first 5 years.

About 18 months ago, my iron started to drop to the low-normal range.  Spring 2015, it was 5, with normal being 50-100.

My PCP ordered a full gastroenterologist work up to ensure no internal bleeding and then had me supplement with oral iron.

Last month, my iron still registered at 5, with normal being 50-100 and I was finally referred to a hematologist who immediately ordered an infusion.

Last Friday, I spent 6 hours at the Oncology Center, getting treatment and I already feel more energetic.

I should have insisted on seeing the hematologist sooner, but I got tired of seeing doctors after all of the gastro tests (colonoscopy, endoscopy, fructose, glucose, lactose tolerance tests, blah, blah, blah).

Until I started to feel better, I didn't realize how worn out I was.

I go back to the heme in 2 weeks and he will monitor my levels every 6 months and infuse when levels begin to drop.

Kath

dog_hair_dinner
on 4/26/16 5:08 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I just found out last week that my iron is extremely low, not anaemic, but just above.  My blood results came back to the hospital on March 8 and no one called to tell me that my iron was low.  So instead of starting supplements immediately to fix the problem, I've been feeling tired and weak as hell most days.  I've just been on iron supplements for a week, but I've been told it takes about 3 months for your body to replenish your red blood cell supply.  So now I've got to wait out this weakness.  Ugh.

kathkeb
on 4/26/16 6:15 pm

Well -- please get it re-checked after 3 months and don't wait as long as I did.  I just don't absorb iron orally anymore.

Hang in there --- 

Kath

dog_hair_dinner
on 4/26/16 8:35 pm
RNY on 03/01/16

Thank you.  I have a three-month blood test scheduled.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/26/16 5:08 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

So what is the long term, do you know? If oral iron wasnt helping, will you have to see a heme for infusions every so often? 

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

kathkeb
on 4/26/16 6:13 pm

Chris -- the hematologist believes that I will be getting infusions about every 6 months -- but will monitor my levels to determine the timing.

He said that the Omeprazole I take (40 mg per day) is probably contributing to the issue -- it reduces the amount of acid I produce -- and the acid is what helps us to break down protein and extract iron from it.

He also indicated that the oral iron was exacerbating my GERD ---- so, stopping the oral iron may help that as well.

Kath

SandieMc49
on 4/27/16 9:02 am

Wow, all of your postings have helped more than you know.  I am on my third round of iron infusions; 6 months apart.  This time it's five infusions, one a week, along with a B-12 shot.  I think this is going to be what I can expect from now on.  Previously, I had labs at 3 months and 6 months post-infusion, but yesterday the doctor ordered 6 wks, 3 mos, and 6 mos labs and already set up another infusion for 6 months in anticipation. 

Not a big deal really; just a little bump in the ride that has been so positive for me.  But it's good to know that I have company! Thank you all for sharing.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1496 views