Weight Loss Surgery and Syringomyelia?

LegallyBanded
on 4/26/16 9:46 pm

Hi Friends, 

Someone near and dear to me is in the process of having the Sleeve done. She also has syringomyelia. Do any of you have syringomyelia who have had a weight loss surgery done? Did it help? Were there any issues with insurance covering the surgery? She isn't quite at the 40 BMI mark--she's more in the mid/high 30s BMI mark.

I am a Lap Bander myself and though I don't think I hit the 40 BMI mark because I had already lost 100 lbs before my Lap Band, I had PCOS and the fun stuff that go alone with it like the borderline/full diabetes and metabolic syndrome, so even though I was technically lesser on the BMI mark (I can't remember my exact number because I had the Lap Band in 2008), the PCOS helped my case and not hurt it. (From what I understand, you have to be 40 BMI or more if you're healthy but between 35 to 40 BMI is you have some sort of condition that requires the weight loss surgery..)

I appreciate any advice or feedback on this!!

Thank you all! :)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/27/16 9:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Everyone's insurance is different. She'll need to contact customer service and provide her plan number in order to get specifics-- both in regard to coverage, and any comorbidities required with a BMI of 35 - 40.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

siberiancat
on 4/27/16 10:29 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have Syringohydydromyelia - and didn't find out until after my RNY.  It is slow growing and the neurologists just "keep an eye" on it.

It is inoperable because of where it is in my spine - no limitations thus far.  I know losing 140 pounds made a huge difference to my back, knee and hip issues - as well as blood pressure, sleep apnea, asthma, etc.

I don't know about your friends cir****tances.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active