UGH...No longer loosing- feeling very discouraged

marlene52414
on 4/28/16 12:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

first of all i'm coming back after a few months of being M.I.A 

I've really been trying to work on my self and do what's right for my body. I have been so fortunate to have been blessed to qualify for the RNY surgery. i started my journey at 330 I was 290 the day of my surgery. I am now 229 my surgery was in august/2015 since then i've lost 61 pounds +40 before surgery. a total of 101 pounds. 

I've been feeling kind of bummed because i haven't been able to loose anymore. Yes i know we all plateau but 3 months? is that normal? 

When i talked to my surgeon he said that sometimes our bodies fight us but that we have to keep pushing. 

has this ever happened to anyone out there?

if it has, what did you do? 

i'm having a hard time staying positive...

any advise would be very much appreciated.

thank you!!

Deanna798
on 4/28/16 12:49 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Hi Marlene. I also had my surgery in August 2015. I had the RNY, too. My high weight was 291 and my surgery weight was about 270. I've lost just a bit more than you at this point. I will be honest with you and say that going 3 months with no loss at where we are probably means you need to review your menu and adjust how many calories you are taking in.

Do you log all of your food? How many calories do you eat a day, how many grams of protein and how many grams of carbs.

I log my food everyday. I try to keep my calories under 900, though I prefer under 800, but that gets harder as time goes on. I also keep my protein intake over 70g, and my carb intake under 50g per day.

Make sure you are measuring out your portions and you are logging your meals. If you've allowed simple carbs like bread, pasta or even potatoes in, you need to cut them out. Don't drink when you eat because that can make you feel hungry sooner.

I also want to note that my loss has slowed dramatically over the last few months, so I think this is the time where things just start to slow down. While I was having 10 to 15lbs lost per month, i've slowed to 5lbs per month for the last 3 months.

Hang in there and stick to your plan. make sure your intake it where it needs to be and you CAN keep losing.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

marlene52414
on 4/28/16 1:03 pm

Hi Deanna,

thank you for your advise.

i did slack off on logging in my food but I'm definitely going to start doing that. 

I'm gonna go through all my books and make a new fresh start... I just thought that there was something else wrong with me. 

but maybe I've been doing it wrong.  

Thank you for your encouraging words...believe it or not all your information really helps.

thanks again!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/28/16 1:27 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The bad news: surgery isn't magic. We still need to work our butts off.

The good news: you've still got a tool, and if you get right back on track, you can keep losing.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

marlene52414
on 4/28/16 1:43 pm

Thank you Julie!!

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 4/28/16 5:49 pm - Belleville, IL

YES, it's normal...So is the dreaded 6 month stall. If you do what you are supposed to do, you WILL lose inches, and sizes. Period.

I always tell everyone... Take PHOTOS from front side, back, etc. SAVE some of your "fat clothes" you wore before surgery. Compare them to what you wear NOW. Don't do by weight but what size you wear, and what size (inches lost) your body is...Here is an example..... The BIG shorts were a 22 from Pre-op...The size 10 were @ 8 months out, do you see?  Best advice I ever got...THROW your scale away, do what you are supposed to. Walk/go to gym for some exercise and be "zen-like" (ie: Don't worry) the only ones *****gain are those who go BACK to eating how they did Pre-Op,

marlene52414
on 4/29/16 10:47 am

Thanks Just Ducky...

wow your picture is very inspiring...your right!

i keep my scale in the bathroom so i see it every morning and night...i'm just going to put that sucker away and weigh myself every 2 weeks.

i do see a difference in my clothes for sure- i was a size 20 and now i'm a 14 but today i got into a size 12 :) 

so that was very motivational...thank you for your advise.

i will post an update for sure :D

Laura in Texas
on 4/28/16 8:15 pm

You need to weigh/measure your portions and track every bite. Be honest with yourself about how much you are eating.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

marlene52414
on 4/29/16 10:48 am

Thanks Laura for your advise.

I'm starting fresh today- i hope to provide you all a good update in about 2 weeks :D

hollykim
on 4/29/16 12:24 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM Pacific Time, marlene52414 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

first of all i'm coming back after a few months of being M.I.A 

I've really been trying to work on my self and do what's right for my body. I have been so fortunate to have been blessed to qualify for the RNY surgery. i started my journey at 330 I was 290 the day of my surgery. I am now 229 my surgery was in august/2015 since then i've lost 61 pounds +40 before surgery. a total of 101 pounds. 

I've been feeling kind of bummed because i haven't been able to loose anymore. Yes i know we all plateau but 3 months? is that normal? 

When i talked to my surgeon he said that sometimes our bodies fight us but that we have to keep pushing. 

has this ever happened to anyone out there?

if it has, what did you do? 

i'm having a hard time staying positive...

any advise would be very much appreciated.

thank you!!

no loss in 3 monts is maintenance, not a stall. 

You are esting more than your body need to allow a loss.what is a day's menu like for you?

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1449 views