Revision surgery Endoscopic suturing sclerotherapy - Who had it done and what were your...

luckysd
on 5/4/16 1:07 pm - Linwood, PA

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2005 and have gained all my weight back except 70 lbs.  I can't get knee replacement surgery until I lose this weight because my doctor said there is such more risk when you are obese.  So here I am.....ready to retire in November but can't until I get this done.

I am scheduled to have revision surgery on Monday, May 9.  I am nervous but praying everything goes well.  I would like to know from anyone that has had this surgery and to see how great a weight loss you had from this. 

Also what was your diet like afterwards?

I called the office to find out if I had to be on a liquid diet before the surgery and they said no to just not eat after midnight.

Did anyone have to be on liquids before their surgery?

I am so tired of being FAT!!!!

Thank you.

Kathyjs
on 5/4/16 2:17 pm

I had to lose 10% of my weight pre op. No liquid diet but had to drink bowel cleanser night before. Your 'diet' post op I would imagine will be the same as the first time. A progression program. Good luck

seattledeb
on 5/4/16 11:13 pm

I haven't heard of this surgery. Did the doctor let you know what your post op eating will be like? 

luckysd
on 5/11/16 1:48 pm - Linwood, PA

I have to stay on a clear liquid diet for 3 days and then full liquid 4 - 7 days.  I see the nutritionist next Friday.  They surgery went well Monday.  I still have a sore throat from the tube.  

Grim_Traveller
on 5/5/16 4:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are a lot of names for endoscopic suturing. The Appolo overstitch, the Rose procedure, etc. They have a very poor track record. Most of the weight loss seems to result from the pre and postop diets, not long term restriction.

Good luck. I hope it helps.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 5/5/16 12:26 pm

Can you get a second opinion on the knee replacement?  While not an ideal situation I've known several overweight and/or obese folks that have gotten TKR's.  Since you cannot retire until you get your knee fixed (I'm assuming because of insurance benefits?) you may want to ask another surgeon to render their opinion. 

Obviously the closer you are to your desired weight the easier the surgery and the recovery will be.  But if you have knee pain as serious as I imagine you do no decent doctor is going to refuse the surgery on a weight basis only. 

I've been advised to have immediate total knee replacement several years ago.  Although I'm dragging it out for my own reasons I totally know your pain and hope you get relief soon.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1431 views