Chicken thighs vs breast

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/10/16 12:34 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

***I AM STILL PREOP***

Wife and I feed our two dogs raw, and meant to buy my little one some chicken thighs w/ bone to feed. I realized that I bought boneless so figured wouldnt let go to waste, so I threw on grill and basted with BBQ sauce. Absolutely LOVE them! Theyre my new favorite thing.

I looked up breast vs thigh, and see the nutrition info is pretty close, and curious for people postop what they think? Would you avoid it? It has more fat, but is that terrible?

I tried using some Walden Farms BBQ sauce and it def wasnt as good as say Stubbs, but I think if I added some spices, sriracha etc to the WF it would be much better.

For a 3.5oz portion:

• Breast (boneless, skinless)   
    •    114 cal
    • 21.2g protein
    • 2.6g fat
    • 0.6g saturated fat
  • Thigh (boneless, skinless)
    •    119 cal
    • 19.3g protein
    • 3.9g fat
    • 1g saturated fat

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/10/16 12:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Many people prefer thigh meat after surgery because it tends to be more moist than breast, and therefore easier to swallow/digest.  The fat difference is minimal.  I wouldn't worry about it.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

The Salty Hag
on 5/10/16 12:47 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I actually prefer thighs; I always have. When I was little, my sisters would **** and moan when my mother bought them since they're cheaper, but I was more than happy to eat theirs too. ( Wonder how I got to 293, hmm. )  I now only buy boneless, skinless ones.

Fat is not your enemy. I'm not sure if it's different for VSGers, but I think RNYers can benefit from a small amount of healthy fats incorporated into their diets. Keeps our coats nice and shiny.  ( and the mail running smoothly, if you get what I mean. )

I make my own bbq sauce; Something about the Walden Farms just turns my stomach for some reason.

BTW..we fed our dog raw when was younger. We only stopped because he seemed bored with it after 6 months or so-he's a weird dog. We still get him raw stuff every once in a while as a treat.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/16 12:47 pm - CA

I agree with Mo!   I like chicken breast vs dark meat, but that is a personal pref due to taste and not calories or fat content.   I have had chicken get stuck, but when I eat it, I eat slow and chew well.  

I think if you like both thighs and breast, you are good either way.   

~Nik

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/10/16 12:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Assuming your food is on-target in all other categories, fat numbers aren't really worth worrying about, IMO, when they're that close.

I FAR prefer the taste of dark meat, so that's pretty much all I ever eat. I buy a jumbo bag of frozen boneless thigh strips, thaw a couple of ounces, and cook on the stove with whatever sauce I have sitting in my pantry. Quick and easy!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/16 12:51 pm

Don't go buying a ton of anything. Our tastes to change after surgery. I hated pork before. Now I eat it weekly. Meat that has a little fat in it is easier to digest. It really is a learning process. I thought of myself as a science experiment at times. 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/10/16 12:58 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Ya def not buying anything. Surgery is in 16 days and so far I only have some broths, chocolate, vanilla, PB and pumpkin spice protein powders (all that I already had, most of them are Quest or EAS)

Thats really it :P

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/10/16 12:53 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Oh praise sweet baby Jesus! Hah for some reason I thought the vets were going to come back and explain why couldnt have them. This is great! 

Thanks everyone for replying so fast :D

Dee R.
on 5/10/16 1:01 pm - CA

I prefer the thighs.  Early in my post op is was easier on my tummy since it's more moist.  Plus I prefer the taste of the dark meats anyway.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/10/16 2:03 pm

I am a thigh person. Just seems less dry. Less rubbery

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active