Would You Do It Again?

dangeloc
on 5/13/16 5:32 am

I still have not been approved to even start the pre-surgery thing with my history of alcoholism and bulimia, but i should have an answer by next week. In the meantime I've been reading all the posts and doing all the right stuff. But reading all the stuff about GERD issues after RNY and more importantly about so much post surgery weigh gain has made me wonder if it is really worth it. My thoughts are that maybe a lot of people with weight gain post on here and those without it don't? It seems like 75 % of the people gain back a good part of the weight. If that is the case, why would I alter my body so much? I have had to jump thru so many hoops so far getting psych evaluations, etc because I wanted this tool so badly. I know it's not magic, I know the work, I know the risks. I just really want to know, if you had the choice now, would you do it again?

VSG48MAN
on 5/13/16 5:46 am
VSG on 04/20/16

I had the VSG on April 20th and I am down 30lbs and would do it again in a heartbeat, it's very scary at first but it's really not that bad.

VSG48MAN

Dee R.
on 5/13/16 5:48 am - CA

In a HEARTBEAT!!!  This is the best thing I've ever done for ME!!

Jane_StClair
on 5/13/16 6:03 am

I'd am interested to know how many people that are 2 years + that would do it again.  And what kind of 'complications' they have had.  I have the same concerns, and waiver form one side to the other on a daily basis as to if i should get the surgery.

Homeseller_Rebecca
W.

on 5/13/16 2:59 pm - CORONA, CA

10 years out!!!

10 pounds over goal.  HELL YES I would do it over again!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/13/16 6:31 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Almost 3 years out.

I would do it every year for the rest of my life if I had to.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Amy R.
on 5/14/16 1:11 pm

7+ years out here.  Struggled twice with substantial regain (one 40 pounds and one 50 pounds).  Lost all of the regained weight and more  both times and wouldn't have regained in the first place if I'd kept my focus on the recommended post surgery eating plan. 

I absolutely would do it again.  Over and over if I had to.  My surgery gave me my life back.

lking
on 5/13/16 6:12 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I'm 6 mos. out with a RNY.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  No more GERD, diabetes, or HBP.  No regrets at all, no complications and best of all I'm down 92lbs so far!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

AngryViking
on 5/13/16 6:21 am
RNY on 07/17/14

And twice on Sunday.

White Dove
on 5/13/16 6:26 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY in 2007 and am still at my goal weight.  But I also have to eat properly, take my vitamins, drink my water and do my exercise.  The surgery is not a miracle weight loss tool.  For me, it took away hunger and makes it impossible to eat big meals. 

As you have seen, it is possible to out eat any surgery.  I could gain weight easily if I allowed myself to eat more and if I went back to eating carby foods.  The surgery is an opportunity.  It is up to the person to make it work.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends