How to maintain in maintenance

SkottiRNY
on 5/18/16 7:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey there!!

So I am in maintenance mode.. have been for a couple of months. What do you guys do to make sure you stay there. I go to the gym 3 times a week and eat a low calorie diet still. Anything in particular that works for you, I love to hear. 

Cheers! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/18/16 8:29 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Never stop weighing, measuring, and logging. When you slip from your maintenance calories and let carbs creep in, trouble often follows.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 5/19/16 1:05 am - Warren, OH

Maintenance is easy for two years.  I believed that I had been cured of obesity.  During year three I started to regain quickly.  That is when I realized I will never be cured.  If I stop paying attention I will gain it back.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkottiRNY
on 5/19/16 4:43 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

I have heard that seems to be the misconception that once you reach maintenance, it is easy. But really, it is still a life long journey....especially when it comes to watching calories and getting regular exercise. 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

SkinnyScientist
on 5/19/16 4:26 pm

Maintaince is NOT easy for me.

I kind of keep flucuating is this 6 lb range. When I run far and A LOT (like that day I ended up accidently doing 20 miles and log 30+ mile weeks), I dont have to worry too much about my food as long as it is protein, non-carb veg and I can even have some wine or angry orchard.

After my half marathon, I was told by the coach to take two weeks off from running so my body repairs and heals. I ate like I did when I was training.  I am now 145 lbs instead of my 139 and I am quite pissed about it.

So back to running and letting the wine go for awhile.

What is scary is HOW FAST it flew on. ON average, 3 lbs a week.  That is like 10,500 extra calories a week.

So back to measuring, weighing..etc.

It will forever have to be a way of life.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

siberiancat
on 5/19/16 7:03 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I maintained my goal weight for 3 years and then put on a 4 pounds.  I've been keeping a daily food log since January 1, 2016.  I read labels and measure.  I am currently logging calories, grams of carbohydrate, ounces of fluid and grams of protein.

I'm staying at  1000 calories a day, 80 gm carb or less, 120 ounces fluid and 100 grams protein.

I've lost 2 pounds in the last 4 months - it is coming off very slowly!!!

I weigh myself same time every morning.

Maintaining is hard work and losing weight after your "honeymoon period - first 18 months after RNY) is harder still

I think I need to be more active.

I'm keeping logging - otherwise I eat mindlessly and the calories and carbs add up fast.

Best wishes to you,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/19/16 8:11 am - OH

No one in their first year post-op believes it, but LOSING the weight is the easy part and MAINTAINING the weight loss is the hard part. 

As others have said, it is a matter of continuing to be diligent about what, and how much, you eat.  If you get complacent, you WILL gain weight again.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kathy S.
on 5/19/16 9:36 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations on your success and reaching maintenance!

For me moving, working out was key.  It reminded me every day how far I had come (could not move without my left side going numb), how strong I had become (had always been so weak, mentally and physically) and the eating for me came easy.  I didn't think of it as maintenance I thought of it as the rest of my life.  I did this effortlessly for over 10 years.  

Best advice?  Don't let some of the most painful things in life knock you off track!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

acbbrown
on 5/19/16 9:38 am - Granada Hills, CA

The biggest key for me is avoiding sugar and personal binge foods and NO GRAZING. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cabin111
on 5/19/16 3:29 pm

A few things in no special order.  Don't test simple carbs...It is a road you don't want to go down.  It's like an addict going back to "the stuff".  The longer you avoid them, the better off you'll be.  If you get an injury and can't exercise...Drop your calories for that period.  Most people get into a food routine...But if you have stopped your exercise, you've got to look at your diet too. 

Watch for emotional eating...Grazing.  Things don't go well at work, family, relationships, someone gets sick or dies...All these will tempt you to go back to the old ways.  Yes, there will be times when you have to go fast food or not good food choices...But try and plan ahead for these things.  Keep a can of beef or chicken vegetable soup in you car...Pop top lid.  I would keep a plastic bag of; plain nuts, plain Cheerios, rye crackers, raisins, banana chips in my car and truck.  Hard to do in the summer, but during the other seasons it's a good idea.  Enjoy the ride...Brian