9 months

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/16 9:16 am

I'm 9 months out today. Down 208, and going to my consult for my skin surgery. Anyone can do this, it's really easy. God Bless Guys and girls.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/24/16 9:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Is your doctor willing to do surgery soon? I know a lot of PS suggest reaching goal and maintaining for at least a year before going under the knife.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/16 2:49 pm

This was initial consult. When I return from Greece in Sept. (second honeymoon). I will proceed.

Is it okay if I travel so soon after surgery? A lot of TA (travel agents), say "MEH" Now I'm worried.

Laura in Texas
on 5/24/16 10:16 am

The first 6 months or so you can pretty much eat anything and lose weight. The surgery is doing all the work. The further you get out, the harder it gets. Maintenance is definitely NOT easy. Always remember that.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/16 3:01 pm

OMG you got that right. I did NOTHING the first 6 months. I ate "pretty much whatever" I wanted. Just like you told me in the beginning.

Your advice is what has made this easy Laura. Your amazing advice. It is so beneficial for my daily walk.

I work with autistic children everyday, who have trouble even cleaning their backsides. They struggle for every gain they ever make. I see what they encounter with such bravery and grace, and it sickens me to think ANYTHING in my life is hard. Even maintenance. My journey and it's difficulty is my perception. 

on 5/26/16 6:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Are you still eating "whatever you want?" That's bad news for maintenance. The habits we build in the first 6 months have a MAJOR impact on our ability to maintain after 1 year or beyond.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/16 7:23 am, edited 5/26/16 1:44 am

Julie, this is tongue in cheek. I'm 49, Navajo father of 2 college bound teens. I have almost paid off our home, I own and maintain a business. I am not looking for life advice. I have shown myself that I can face life's storms.

If you want to follow me and constantly question anything about what I write. Then maybe you should walk awhile in my shoes. Raise your young family, learn those lessons you are so eager to teach your elders. 

You consider yourself a seasoned vet. I am one as well. I served my time in the Marine corp. I took my orders from many people. I no longer accept advice from total strangers. I listen to those here whom I respect.

If what I write irritates you, change the channel. But if you think I'll shrink from a good row, you picked the wrong person.

on 5/26/16 7:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Sarcasm doesn't always read over the internet, and I apologize if I mis-read your intent.

I have no interest in teaching anybody any big life lessons. I just try to share observations specific to this surgery board; I'm grateful for those who have served in the military, but I don't know how many of said lessons apply to post-op life.

You once told me that you admired me because I reminded you of your grandmother, and if someone was screwing up, I would "tell them to it straight." Funny that it doesn't seem to apply here.

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/16 7:36 am

How is losing 207 pounds in 9 months "screwing it up"? I have completely turned my health around. I have worked my butt off doing exactly what I'm supposed to. That is what I avoid telling others because I'd be bragging.

I do respect your opinion Julie. But, you are going out of your way to question bits of what I say. 

In my opinion, Kathy S. told me how it was. I didn't feel like she was talking down to me or questioning me. I actually am following her advice. I will not see my PS again until August. 

And I occasionally disagreed with my dear Grandmother as well.  

on 5/26/16 7:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

"Screwing up" referred to my misunderstanding. And all previous comments were based on that same misinterpretation. Once again, I apologize.

You'll see that I question other posters similarly when I read (what's seen as) gross noncompliance or a seriously out-of-whack mindset. If you don't like the approach that I take with this sort of situation-- you or others-- you're welcome to block :)

Hope you have a lovely day!