Thursday *****fest

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/26/16 10:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

***** (/biCH/): noun, informal. To express displeasure; grumble.

What's on your mind, OH? Incompetent coworkers? Obnoxious neighbors? Clueless significant other? Pissed off by world events? Keeping it inside is unhealthy.

Put on your big-kid panties and let it all out!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 5/26/16 10:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Today I am pissed at science-deniers who push woo on their children.

A scientific study came out this week saying that CIO ("cry it out") as a method of sleep training is safe. A lot of "crunchy" and/or attachment-parenting folks flipped their collective **** because apparently letting a baby holler for a few minutes before picking him/her up is full-fledged child abuse.

A blog called "Modern Alternative Mama" supposedly debunked the study, cue celebration from the woo-mongers for a "victory over the Establishment." Problem is, speaking as a statistician, the alleged debunking is total bull**** AND it's coming from someone who thinks vaccines are evil and refused to take her own child to the hospital for a full week after breaking his arm.

Modern medicine is good. Science is good. Yes, I know what makes my kid happy, BUT I have a grand total of six months' experience as a mom, I haven't been to medical school, and I haven't considered millions upon millions of kids' data. The fact that laypeople-- PARENTS, nontheless-- can so firmly believe that they know better for their children and would subject them to all manner of unproven and potentially DANGEROUS (non-)treatments?

That ****** me off.

Deanna798
on 5/26/16 11:36 am, edited 5/26/16 4:37 am
RNY on 08/04/15

We used CIO on our youngest, and it worked in a matter of days.  IF people would actually read the Ferber method and not just assume they know what it means, then they would see it's not really abusive at all.  

**** you'd think it was like How to Train up a Child.  Now that **** is scary.

Edited to add:

Don't even get me started on anti-vaxxers... grrrr.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

on 5/26/16 12:46 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yes!!! CIO isn't "scream until you puke," geez. And holy **** but HTC is some seriously messed-up stuff. Sorry, but I kinda doubt that Jesus would be in favor of hitting a two-year-old with a 1/2" PVC pipe.

Deanna798
on 5/26/16 12:51 pm, edited 5/26/16 11:04 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Just the thought makes me want to cry. 

I have spanked my kids,  I'm not against it in the right situations and with the right mindset,  but that book crosses a line into abuse.  

edited to fix a typo

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Grim_Traveller
on 5/26/16 3:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On May 26, 2016 at 7:46 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Glittery Hag Princess wrote:

Yes!!! CIO isn't "scream until you puke," geez. And holy **** but HTC is some seriously messed-up stuff. Sorry, but I kinda doubt that Jesus would be in favor of hitting a two-year-old with a 1/2" PVC pipe.

That's just crazy. You don't use 1/2" PV****il they're 3 years old. Move up to 3/4" at 6 years old, but make sure it's Schedule 40 pipe.

3/8" PEX works good on 2 year olds.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

on 5/26/16 3:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sadly, this is a little to close to the book's ACTUAL content.

"For the under one year old, a little, ten- to twelve-inch long, willowy branch (striped of any knots that might break the skin) about one-eighth inch diameter is sufficient. Sometimes alternatives have to be sought. A one-foot ruler, or its equivalent in a paddle, is a sufficient alternative. For the larger child, a belt or larger tree branch is effective."

"A 12-inch piece of weed eater chord works well as a beginner rod. It will fit in your purse or pocket."

"Later, a plumber's supply line is a good spanking tool. You can get it at Wal-Mart or any hardware store. Ask for a plastic, ¼ inch, supply line. They come in different lengths and several colors; so you can have a designer rod to your own taste. They sell for less than $1.00."

"Don't ever hit a small child with your hand. You are too big and the baby is too small... the weight of your hand does little to sting the skin."

If you think THIS is bad, you can put it side-by-side with Mein Kampf and it's a little too similar for comfort.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/26/16 5:57 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Holy crap on a cracker.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Deanna798
on 5/27/16 6:06 am
RNY on 08/04/15

People actually do this to children and think it's the only way to get them to comply.  I think breaking a child's will is definitely NOT setting them up for success as an adult.  And that is just pushing aside the actual cruelty of it.  I'm normally a very passive, non-violent person, but this type of **** makes me want to do some damage to people.

LizTlilwitchy
on 5/26/16 11:20 am - Cincinnati, OH
VSG on 05/06/16

Ooooooooooooooooooh, I love Jack Nicholson! And I love The Shining! 

Yesssssssssss, plenty of *****iness to go around here today! 

1) Work is driving me nuts today! and people who don't read directions or follow directions!  Me: "Please submit your Invoice and Customer signed work order so we can pay you."  Them:  I'm emailing our estimate for new work that needs to be done."  Me:  "Please submit your Invoice and paperwork for the work that was already completed."  Them:  "Oh, we already got approval.  We will do the new work tomorrow."  Me:  "Okay, but that will be on a separate Invoice, you can submit your first invoice so there is no delay in payment".  Them:  "No thanks, we will wait a week or two until our tech decides to turn in his paperwork for the new job."  Seriously???

2) Maybe the fact that today is day 34 on all liquids, and I still have 11 more days on it until I can have pureed/babyfood?  What unholy hell is this?  Whaaaaaaaa!  I know I will suck it up and keep pushing forward, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of drinking 16 hours a day to get all my liquid water/shakes in!  I just want to curl up in a ball and cry!  And I am usually not a whiner!  Whaaaaa! 

Liz

Liz T

5'7" HW: 280, Pre-Op:280, SW:262, M1:-24, M2: In Progress, CW:238  Surgery: VSG on 5/06/16

"Do it until you want to do it."  "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." ~ Maya Angelou

Most Active