Another reminder of why I'm doing this

Lisa F.
on 5/29/16 5:57 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

Hi all -

I'm one week away from surgery and getting pretty anxious as the day gets closer. So I thought I'd post something that happened the other day to help remind myself of why I'm doing this.

I changed jobs last year to a company that is 2 miles from my house. Lots of people bike to work so I thought I'd give it a try. In my younger/thinner days I biked a lot, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I also take spin classes on a regular basis. I bought a cool (turquoise!) commuter bike (that looks like the Schwinn I had as a kid), and was excited to do this.

Well, after a 15 minute, 2 mile ride I managed to sprain my toe when I put all my weight on one foot trying to climb a hill and have a 3" diameter black and blue on the inside of my leg from trying to swing my leg over the seat. I was also a sweaty mess when I got to work.

I may have decent cardiovascular fitness, but moving a 277 lb body presents so many challenges that are both humiliating and frustrating. This is why I get so angry when people judge the obese.

So when I get fearful as my day approaches, I try to keep these incidents in mind. I'm looking forward to the day I can bike ride, hike, dance, run, do yoga, etc. without all of the challenges I face today.

Anyone relate?

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/29/16 6:12 pm

Thank you for writing this.  I totally get it and I'm sure others do as well.  We are faced with multiple challenges so I truly believe getting WLS is the best thing.  We know truly in our hearts we tried just about everything.  WLS will be a tool to help us maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Cheers to you!  All will be just fine.

Lisa F.
on 5/30/16 5:02 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Thanks, Caprice! Much appreciated. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/29/16 10:01 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I tried to ride my bike before surgery. I could do MAYBE 2 miles around the neighborhood and be completely exhausted.

Just shy of one year post-op, I rode 40 miles in the big city bike race (3 hours, 8 min). This year I'm doing the 60-mile leg.

Things really do change!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Lisa F.
on 5/30/16 4:07 am
VSG on 06/06/16

That's fantastic! I'll keep my road bike handy.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/29/16 10:19 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Your honesty is great, as well as your courage to attempt to bike to work. I might suggest that you consider:

Print this out.  Put it in a book.

In 6 months, when you bike to work, write up your experience and compare the two.

Look at them in the distant future if you are tempted to return to old behavior.

Sharon

Lisa F.
on 5/30/16 5:12 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Great suggestion! Thanks!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/16 12:03 am - Eugene , OR
VSG on 04/17/17

I can relate I a different way but getting in a horse. I used to ride all the time when I was younger and I didn't obviously weigh what I do today. I always just used a foot in the stirrup and pulled myself up that way. ð?'? 

Now... I have to use a mounting block or a rail, a fence. I can't lift my own body up anymore. I don't have the upper body strength. Last year at the coast out riding in the beach, there isn't a mourning block and it's hard to find a log that is usable. If your DARE put your horse in dry sand they are liable to go and want to roll. 

I huffed and puffed and tried several times. Saying I can and will do this. By the time I was in a full on sweat, and couldn't bring myself to do it and embarrassed in front of my friends. I walked until I found something that I could use to get back in my horse. (My dumbness for getting off in the first place) WHAT WAS I THINKING!? ? 

The next day my upper arms hurt so bad. I had severe bruising from horn digging into my upper arm fat to where it bled in the skin. That lasted for weeks! I still was more embarrassed than anything. However I vowed never ever again. 

After my surgery I will practice upper arm strength and being able to get back on my horse with no extra added help! That is my goal! 

Lisa F.
on 5/30/16 5:11 am
VSG on 06/06/16

Sounds very similar. Good for you, though for persevering. Is a great goal to have, and one that you'll be thrilled to have met (and you will)!

roxytrim
on 5/30/16 10:47 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

...and think how the poor horse felt