not sure what i should be feeling...am i normal?

Ncmamamia
on 5/30/16 8:16 pm
VSG on 06/14/16

I begin my pre op diet tomorrow, 05/31....I know i can do it...(positive thinking) .but none of this feels real.  I was excited up until last week. Now It just doesn't feel real.  Anyone else feel the same way?  

When were you able to hold your toddlers? drive, change diapers, do laundry?  popping staples has be scared out of my mind.

I havn't begun to buy anything i may need post op....i feel so dis organized

My husband and friends mean well, but have been shoving the food in my face this past month in anticipation of my surgery. Im actually happy to start the 2 week pre op haha

any words of wisdom is  helpful.   pre or post op help

thanks

christine

GentleDomenic
on 5/30/16 8:57 pm - Canada

It's going to be way easier than you think 

Heavens2Betsy
on 5/30/16 9:03 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

You'll be able to hold your toddler, change diapers and do laundry pretty quickly.  Now, with that being said... you can hold your toddler on your lap at first, your tummy will be a bit tender for a few days, changing diapers shouldn't be too bad.  Laundry, you'll be able to do it as soon as your pain level subsides a bit-maybe 3 weeks.  The only restriction on driving that I had was you had to be off the narcotic pain meds first.  So, like a few days - or a week or 2 after you're home (depends on how you feel!)  I felt mostly human again at about 3 weeks.   Also, there most likely won't be any staples, but check with your surgeon.  And, even if you do have a staple, they don't pop!  The tissue and deeper layers of skin are still sewn really well, the staples just keep the skin closed.  Get some Gas-X strips, Miralax, and bring a pillow to hold in front of you on the car ride home, chapstick is a must-don't forget the chapstick.  Get some samples of different types of protein powders for when you get home.  Don't invest a huge amount of money in any one kind, your tastes can totally be weird after surgery and things you like now, might turn your stomach for awhile afterwards.  I got a variety of things from mybariatricpantry.com that helped.  Be sure to get some unflavored protein and try some chicken soup protein powder too.  Get a few cans of beef and chicken broth, a can of fat free refried beans, a container of ricotta and check out eggfaces ricotta bake once you're off liquids.  

You're gonna be fine!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Cheremiste
on 5/31/16 2:47 am

In terms of holding your toddlers and doing laundry: Your surgeon will probably have a lifting restriction for you; as in, no lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds for 4 weeks. My surgeon had me on lifting restrictions for 6 weeks. So you may need to have help with lifting anything heavy (including a cute li'l toddler :) )

39 y/o woman | Height 5'11"| SW 301 | CW 233 | GW 175

Eggface
on 5/31/16 4:34 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I can feel your excitement in your post. Congrats! I'm excited for you! 

Everyone is different of course but after 2 weeks you should be fine for diapers, laundry (no heavy lifting) LOL I'd milk it a few more weeks though ;)

Dr will give you his/her official OK to lift things date it's usually 6 weeks or so. 

You won't need a whole lot post-op really... here's a few ideas: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/05/liqui d-phase-for-post-weight-loss.html boxed broths, decaf tea, bottled water, a few sample packets/travel sizes of protein powders, SF popsicles don't overbuy... it really is tablespoons for awhile so it'd go bad before you got to other things (nothing needed for pureed yet.)

You might want to address the well meaning food pushers in your life... sooner than you think you'll be able to eat most anything they are pushing (whether you should is another story) so if you can't/have trouble saying no... might want to work on that. 

Best wishes!!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/16 5:09 am

Can't help with toddlers etc as I no longer had any around! I can say I think this not feeling real is not unusual for lots of reasons. As long as you follow the plan and stick with your program the surgery will seem very real in two weeks and before you know it this will be a memory. I sometimes still can't believe I had WLS surgery even though I can see those little scars and eat so much less.

It is time to get those things in that you will need after surgery as you won't feel like running round trying to find them and your husband will be busier than normal helping you out. Lots of folks here will give you that list and as some said you won't need much for a while.

Do watch out for those people who want to feed you. They may be the ones who think you are starving afterwards, depriving yourself rather than taking care of yourself (while your Dr and nut make sure you don't).

Good luck both with the presurgical diet. Yes you can do it! Also with your surgery.

SkottiRNY
on 5/31/16 6:53 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey Christine,

I know that different hospitals do things differently, but I didn't have staples. I had Steri Strips. Maybe a bit of crazy glue underneath, but no staples. Now, the evening of my recovery from surgery, I was wiggling in bed to get better positioned and two of the ports opened and bled out. I was not in any risk from the bleeding, but was enough to soil the gown and sheets. The doctor on call came in and stitched up those two ports.

Aside from that hiccup, I didn't have any problems. I had the stitches removed 1 week later. The Steri Strips came off at the same time.

Like any of should do, bend with your knees. Be mindful of proper lifting techniques. Your ports will be healed up before you know it.

One thing that concerns me more than you being worried about popping staples, it your husband and friends shoving food in your face. Yes, we all want to enjoy that last days of "unhealthy" eating, but they should be encouraging to cut back.... even pre-op. Having a strong support system is good for the mind which in turn is good for the body. If they are shoving food in your face now, what will their eating habits be in front of you post-op? Hopefully, they will have a bit of respect.

As for buying things for post-op, what do you need? Vitamins? Clothes? It is best to write out a list of anticipated items. ie. stool softener/laxative(milk of magnesia is great), diet jello and pudding, protein shakes and so forth.

Stay positive, and you will be a great success!

Cheers,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

pammieanne
on 5/31/16 7:51 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Lots of great advice above that I'm not going to rehash. I will tell you that Eggface's baked ricotta dish is so awesome and easy to make! Put it on your list when pureed foods are allowed.

As far as not feeling 'real'... I'm 2 weeks post op, and it still doesn't 'feel real'... It's hard to explain. I mean, I'm not hungry, I can't eat much, I'm sore around the middle still... but I don't feel like some dramatic thing changed my life forever.

Maybe that feeling never comes... I don't know.

Good luck on your pre-op diet, it truly is harder than the post op diet because your stomach is still so dang big and hungry!!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

sheriberi29
on 5/31/16 12:02 pm - Cleveland, TN

Make a list and go get the things you need . You'll feel more ready. I was home alone with my 2 year old twins by day 4 . They could climb into My lap , of course they were easy and I didn't try picking them up, I showed them

my boo boos and they were very midfull that mummy's tummy hurt....and we could snuggle, I changed diapers with no problems. I did get very very tired but it was doable . 

I would go get your vitamins, broth, sugar free jello and sf Popsicles. Liquid Tylenol and non slip shoes for walking at hospital 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Ncmamamia
on 6/6/16 6:18 pm
VSG on 06/14/16

Thank you everyone for your advice. I ran out, stocked my pantry, stocked up sf Popsicles , made frozen broth cubes etc. 

bag is packed and I'm ready to go next Tuesday. But I have to Confess... I ate half of a bagel. Feel so guilty. Been doing well since though. No lose in pounds but my body is changing ?. New cellulite haha

Thanks all

Most Active