36 hours til surgery

swim_bike_smile
on 6/11/16 9:15 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

The countdown begins-- my  surgery is Monday morning.  What are some things you did/purchased before surgery to prepare yourself for coming home from the hospital?  Any particular foods or comfort items that you had that were helpful?

Also, confession time-- I'm having buyer's remorse and I didn't even have the surgery yet.  I'm pretty nervous that I am going to wind up with complications or other health problems as a result of the surgery.  I keep having dreams that I die in surgery and I'm watching my husband plan my funeral.  I woke up to a wet pillow because somehow I was crying in my sleep.

kathkeb
on 6/11/16 9:30 pm

I made 3 lists (I am a project manager, what can I say?)

List 1 ---- 25 things to do besides eat, if it is not mealtime.  I made a vow to consult that list and do something or more than 1 thing when I was tempted to eat outside of my new feeding schedule.

List 2 --- 25 reasons I was having surgery .... I dug deep, some were superficial, some were very deep and personal ... It resolved my decision

List 3 ---- 25 ways I will know I am being successful besides the numbers on the scale.  Scales lie and they are but 1 indicator of success

I also stocked up on baby spoons to eat yogurt, puddings, jello with (when I got to soft food).  I got some sugar-free Popsicles, some lip balm, some anti-gas strips that dissolve on the tongue.

I made sure my heating pad was working.

i had out-patient surgery, so did not have to pack for an overnight stay ..... Just loose, baggy clothes, lip balm, socks and slip on shoes

A pillow to hug close to my body on the ride home was helpful.

Best of luck!!!

Kath

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/12/16 5:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Get 1 or 2 constipation meds, if you feel uncomfortabe, just take it with =out having to go out and get it a 3am.  But I would focus on why you are having WLS.  Pre-op clarity can help you get though some post-op pain. 

WHY I HAD WLS SURGERY

Be as nervous as you like, that's normal, but also use this time to get clear on why you are doing it.  Most likely your reasons are more than your appearance. I would suggest making a list and then you can check them off over the next months and have motivation to keep the weight off.  For what it's worth, here is the logic I had for surgery: 

1 - My knee is messed-up and if I do not get the weight off, I will be looking at knee surgery.

2 - I just lost 100+ pounds with a conventional diet and put 90% of it back on within 2 years, so I am not one of the lucky 3-5% who will keep the weight off.

3 - WLS is easier to recover from than knee surgery.

4 - WLS was (and is) the right option for me. 

5- Things that will be better:  enjoying the outdoors, clothes, . . .

I was more than nervous - before surgery I updated my will, changed my insurance benficiaries, had everything notarized, made sure a lawyer-friend had a folder with all my important papers, (I had the advanced directives form to fill out but I did not get around to it).  That is just me - be prepared.  But, now all that stuff is done. 

But, when it was all said and done, and I was in pre-op and felt the first wave of sedative kick in, I looked at the clock and my reaction was - 7:42, my new lucky number!  I had difficult times - most of us had, but pre-op clarity will help you get through a lot of post-op crap.

May I humbly suggest you generate a list and write down your motivations for surgery.  It might help you prevent 'buyers remorse' and give you focus to get through any difficult times. And give you something to do while you are waiting for the insurance approval. 

Best of Luck,

Sharon

Heavens2Betsy
on 6/12/16 6:40 am
RNY on 02/29/16

Gas X strips, lip balm (for in the hospital), samples of different kinds of whey protein isolate drinks (they'll probably all taste icky for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery, so try different ones.), beef and chicken broth and a good water bottle that has measurements on the side.  I bought some "piddle pads" for the bed because I had a catheter and got a bit leaky afterwards, for about a week.  Mostly, be gentle with yourself, you're gonna be sore and tired for a few weeks.  Healing takes time, don't ru****

As for the buyer's remorse and fears, we've all been there!  It's hard sometimes to focus on the positives, so making lists is a great reminder of why we're doing this.  

Hang in there, Monday will be over before you know it, and you'll be on the loser's bench!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

karenp8
on 6/12/16 10:51 am - Brighton, IL

Being fearful and afraid is totally normal. This is a totally new journey you are starting! Very few people have complications or long term problems from surgery but if you continue on the path you are on you are guaranteed to develop things like diabetes,high blood pressure,high cholesterol and sleep apnea to name a few. When you are healthier you will be a better wife too as you have energy to do fun things with your family. When I had surgery all I knew was being obese. I had back and knee pain everyday,diabetes,high cholesterol and uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills. My highest weight was 273 pounds and I was out of breath going down my basement steps. For the last three years I have weighed 120 to 123 pounds and have normal blood sugar levels,perfect cholesterol with no meds and a normal blood pressure on one low dose pill. I feel like a new and better version of myself and walk 3 to 5 miles a day for fun! A healthier and more active life is there waiting for you too. Grab ahold and get ready for an exciting journey! And most of all,hang around here for support and encouragement. Better things are coming!

January Y.
on 6/12/16 2:06 pm - AK
Mini Gastric Bypass on 06/14/16

I am going in for my surgery on Tuesday and I completely understand how you feel!  I feel the same way.  I am so nervous and scared.  I try to keep focusing on afterwards and all the reasons I am doing this and trying not to berate myself for not having the willpower and strength to lose all my weight non-surgically.  I'm afraid that I don't have grand advice and wisdom, just wanted to let you know I'm sitting beside you in the boat!  

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/13/16 5:00 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

today is your day! hoping for a great surgery! make sure ya sip and walk as much as you can in the hospital :) it gets better each and every day

Excited for ya!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

marias14
on 6/13/16 7:12 am
RNY on 06/09/16

I know how you feel. My surgery was last Thursday and I went through everything with my husband like what jewelry to give to who if I died during surgery. I was so panicked. I also questioned if I was doing the right thing. It had been difficult but like everyone has said it gets better day by day. Also lip balm very good suggestion. I didn't get that suggestion before I went to the hospital but thankfully they had some there. My lips got so dry. Good luck you'll do great!

Most Active