This preop diet is some bull**** lol

mndvrmtt
on 6/14/16 11:00 am - Canada

Two weeks of this ****** me off. I understand it all BUT I know other programs only require a week of it or two weeks but allow you one protein/veggie meal a day. What gives? I am only on day 2 and feel like I'm becoming depressed. I'm sitting at work writing this, trying to keep the tears in my eyes. Which is also embarrassing because I'm realizing how dependent I am on food. 

On another note, any idea how it would affect my preop go around if I had ONE day (say 7 days before surgery) where I ate real food? I'd really like to have something to look forward to to get through this. 

Please keep the negative comments to yourselves. I know I shouldn't be eating and I haven't. I know it's only another 12 days and I can do this. I know that I shouldn't reward myself with food. 

Deanna798
on 6/14/16 11:08 am
RNY on 08/04/15

2 weeks is hard.  I'm not going to slam you for asking if you should have a one day cheat, but I will give you the advice to not cheat.  You CAN do it, no matter how hard it is.  Stay strong, you're very early out and the first few days are the worst.  By day 7 you'll feel so much better and won't need that cheat.  

Try to think of the reward you'll get after surgery when the weight starts falling off.  Hell, watch it start falling off now with the pre-op diet. Find some other way to reward yourself at day 7 that doesn't involve food.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

pammieanne
on 6/14/16 11:19 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Not gonna lie. That pre op diet about did me in... the second day I had a total meltdown and went facedown into a bag of Tostitos, and I am not a huge Tostito fan! I woke up the next day, pissed off at myself for cheating, and just got through the rest of it with sheer determination.

What I regret? Is not being one of those people that lost more weight prior to surgery... because now they've lost so much more and won't gain it back!

Hang in there... persevere, and get through it. All of the weight you lose now counts toward that ultimate goal!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

chaplainJess
on 6/14/16 11:27 am

I'm on my last day of a two-week full liquid pre-op diet. There were times I thought I would never get through and times that were no big deal. A few things helped me. 1) sugar-free gum 2) decaffe tea when I needed something hot 3) making a list of why it's worth it! 4) find things that are on your plan to spice up the shakes, it keeps things from getting boring and made me feel like I was "cooking." I like cinnamon or pumpkin spice in my vanilla shake.

I know that everyone's situation is different and each of us has different comfort levels of who they tell about the surgery. I told everyone, mostly because I needed to talk about it. The people at work have been mostly supportive. So I have people at work to keep me encouraged, and asking me how I'm doing. I work at a long-term care facility and this is CNA week. there is food EVERYWHERE! the good thing is that everyone keeps apologizing for eating in front of me. I started joking that I need a "don't feed the wild animals"   and a "beware cranky chaplain" sign for my office. 

This is HARD. On day five, I found myself sitting in my car at 10:30 p.m. debating what fast food restaurants (plural!) to go visit. I was screaming to myself -get your rear end back in the house - It is a humbling experience to face.

I don't know if you are religious, but I also found some resolve in Hebrews 12:11  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of peace for those who have been trained by it.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/14/16 11:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It sucks. But it gets harder and harder later. And the more you cheat, the harder it gets.

The choices are not just stick to the plan, or cheat.

Do yourself a favor. Don't just stick to the plan. Do BETTER than the plan.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/14/16 12:00 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

That's a question for your surgeon. Some doctors will refuse to perform the surgery-- as in, they'll close you right back up without touching your stomach-- if the liquid diet hasn't sufficiently shrunken your liver.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

califsleevin
on 6/14/16 9:37 pm - CA

It is indeed a question to ask a prospective surgeon and something that one can consider when evaluating surgeons when researching WLS. There are some surgeons out there *****ally don't want their patients fasting for weeks before surgery, as they want them as strong as possible when they undergo the procedure. Knowing what I have learned over the years on this, I would avoid a surgeon *****quires these diets, particularly an all liquid one (and most especially one that's all clear liquid for weeks.) Fortunately for those who are coming into this later, we are seeing a decline in the practice as the consensus is building that they really don't do what they are promoted to do.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/14/16 12:11 pm, edited 6/14/16 5:26 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I was on a preop diet for four weeks 

If you're on day 2, you're likely going through severe carb withdrawal.  I know it sucks, but stick with the plan.  The weight you lose now will only benefit you more after you have the surgery.

Don't fall into the "food funeral" mentality.  You will be able to eat foods down the road.  Right now focus on the reasons why you opted to have WLS.   We need to stop using food as a reward.  Most of us have unhealthy relationships with food, and it's something we need to address.  It doesn't automatically go away.  Support groups or individual therapy are beneficial.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

White Dove
on 6/14/16 12:26 pm - Warren, OH

They allow protein shakes now.  My pre-op was two weeks of clear liquids only.  Isopure was not on the market back then.  I had water, Jello, diet juices and broth.  I was excited to get the surgery and the pre-op did not bother me at all.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Roma
on 6/14/16 1:24 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Yeah, the pre op diet sucks really badly.

Force yourself through it. Surprise yourself. Impress yourself with how well you can do. Stick to it.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1349 views