Did you have to do a bowel prep for vsg?

wejhead
on 6/17/16 12:33 am - WA

I had a colonoscopy Tuesday as part of the work-up. That was a breeze. They knocked me out for that. An IV, and a "this-might-burn-a-little", and the next thing I remember I was waking up and it was over. Sweet, and easy as pie, however, that 4 liters of nulytely bowel prep was another thing.I added crystal lite to make it taste a little better. I don't think I'll be drinking lemonade any time soon! YUK. I'm getting real close to getting a vsg date. I believe I've done all the 'stuff' except the pre-op diet education class. Next Wed. the nurse coordinator will be calling me to tell me what next. Anyway, I read a forum from several years ago on here about a pre-op bowel prep. Did you have to do this? Gawd, not again. It was all I could do to keep it down. If I have to drink 4 more liters of that, I'll just ****! haha

Thank you for your responses, Dean C. From the great state of Washington

ttfan
on 6/17/16 1:02 am
RNY on 08/15/16

ummmm  be prepared!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/17/16 6:03 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I did not have a bowel prep - just a one week pre-op diet. Every surgeon is different.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 7:56 am

YES ! And it was truly gross getting it down ... but the results will be worth it ((())) hugs .. you're almost home !

emelar
on 6/17/16 9:02 am - TX

Depends on your surgeon.  For me, no.  Just nothing by mouth after a certain time the day before.  They're not operating on your intestines, so I don't believe there's a need for a bowel blow-out - some docs just seem to favor it.

Deanna798
on 6/17/16 9:25 am
RNY on 08/04/15

No bowel prep, but I did have a 1 week liquid diet, so there wouldn't have been anything to clear out anyway.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/17/16 12:23 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

No bowel prep before my VSG.  I was on a preop diet consisting of mostly fluids.   I believe there was a "nothing after midnight" stipulation on the day before surgery.

Because they're operating on your stomach and not your intestines, you shouldn't need the rotor rooter treatment.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

-Flo-
on 6/18/16 8:54 am
DS on 04/11/16

When I had the VSG I had no bowel prep but did have  a 2 week liquid diet. With the DS, I had no bowel prep either, again a 2 week liquid diet. So I think you are safe. 

Vicki PNW
on 6/18/16 3:31 pm

Didn't have to do a bowel prep for my DS.  But did have to do a bowel prep for my colonscopy 10 months later.  Used a mix of Miralax and a sports drink that could not be red, purple, orange, or any other shade of red.  Plus, no solid food after midnite.

Had to take a shower with some kind of iodine before my DS and gall bladder removal 19 months after my DS.  Could shampoo hair and wash face as usual but had to use iodine from my shoulders down.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active