Surgery in 14 days, starting to second guess my decision

hrdchgr
on 6/19/16 10:35 pm

Need advice to see if these feelings are normal. I've been positive throughout the whole process, but as my surgery date approaches I'm feeling a little apprehensive. I know that it is what I want and need, but there are times when I just feel unsure. Any comments will be helpful.

riridigi
on 6/20/16 2:57 am
RNY on 06/20/16

I felt like this too.... I'm actually being driven to my surgery right now. 

chassibi
on 6/20/16 3:18 am

This is normal. It is a huge life change you will be undergoing, because if you stay the same you will not keep the weight off. 

Dont be shocked if you have buyers remorse at some point post op as well. I did, but I'm happy with my decision almost 7 weeks out. 

Best of luck! 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/20/16 3:57 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You should be nervous until you are SURE that it is the right step for you.  It is major surgery and carries risks.  I have posted this before, but it is my best response based on my own experience.

SHOULD YOU GET WLS?

It's major surgery and carries risks - I do not see your weight or BMI posted, so like everything with risks - you have to identify the pros and cons for you and make the right decision for you.

About your stats for success - the 75% gain back a good part is not the whole story.  Roughly, 25% of people gain it all back, even with weight loss surgery(WLS).  That compares with 95-97% of people gaining it all back without surgery.

About 50% of people keep off at least 50 pounds.  If you lost 100 and gained 49 back - for a net loss of 51 pounds - you may not feel great, but a 50 pound permanent weight loss may still be a significant health improvement for your body. 

Then it seems like 20-25% of people make the permanent changes needed and with the edge that surgery gives them, can live on a ~1000 cal/day diet for the rest of their lives. This group stay at a BMI of 25-low 30s (normal to slightly overweight, down from SMO, MO, O).

So, you ask youself - how significant is my weight problem? - I don;t know for you, you could be at 175 and unhappy or you could be a 400 pounds with many health issues.

So, you ask yourself - how hard are you willing to work at this?  You have one best chance with WLS, so if you are not ready to make permanent changes, I might suggest waiting until you are.  Although there are additional surgeries and procedures that can be done if you have significant regain, the results are inconsistent.  Even after surgery, expect to measure your portions, track your calories, avoid snacking and too much drinking, give up smoking, and working through the emotional issues that cause you to stress eat and make unwise choices. 

Then, ask yourself what you will gain - for me I avoided knee surgery because I've lost 145 pounds and distanced myself from diabetes because my A1C is back down. 

About GERD - I discovered I had a hiatal hernia which was repaired during my RNY surgery - IT HAS BEEN HEAVEN without the constant heartburn. Again, that is a risk that might tip in the other direction for you.

Me personally, I ask WHAT THE F&^% was I waiting for?  I am at 18 months post-op, so this is still the honeymoon phase, but I worked to get down to a normal BMI, 13% body fat, and a size 6-8 from a 22/24.  I weight lift with a trainer and get in 10,000 steps most days - that is very different from my pre-WLS behaviors.  The WLS gave me enough help, that I could do the rest of the work, but WLS does not do it all.  I could not still be a cream-pie guzzling couch potato and keep the weight off.  

This is an important decision and I commend your wanting to make it an informed one for you.

Best wishes on your journey,

WHY I HAD WLS SURGERY

Be as nervous as you like, that's normal, but also use this time to get clear on why you are doing it.  Most likely your reasons are more than your appearance. I would suggest making a list and then you can check them off over the next months and have motivation to keep the weight off.  For what it's worth, here is the logic I had for surgery: 

1 - My knee is messed-up and if I do not get the weight off, I will be looking at knee surgery.

2 - I just lost 100+ pounds with a conventional diet and put 90% of it back on within 2 years, so I am not one of the lucky 3-5% who will keep the weight off.

3 - WLS is easier to recover from than knee surgery.

4 - WLS was (and is) the right option for me. 

5- Things that will be better:  enjoying the outdoors, clothes, . . .

I was more than nervous - before surgery I updated my will, changed my insurance benficiaries, had everything notarized, made sure a lawyer-friend had a folder with all my important papers, (I had the advanced directives form to fill out but I did not get around to it).  That is just me - be prepared.  But, now all that stuff is done. 

But, when it was all said and done, and I was in pre-op and felt the first wave of sedative kick in, I looked at the clock and my reaction was - 7:42, my new lucky number!  I had difficult times - most of us had, but pre-op clarity will help you get through a lot of post-op crap.

May I humbly suggest you generate a list and write down your motivations for surgery.  It might help you prevent 'buyers remorse' and give you focus to get through any difficult times. And give you something to do while you are waiting for the insurance approval. 

Best of Luck, MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!

Sharon

Neesie57
on 6/20/16 7:58 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

What a great post Sharon!  You really nailed the reasons for and against having surgery.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/22/16 8:50 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Thanks your kind reply. I had the thoughts, but i didn't put it all together until about 6 months after surgery.

Congrats on getting to goal weight and enjoying a different way of life.

Sharon

Grim_Traveller
on 6/20/16 4:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's very normal. 

A year after the surgery, you'll be kicking yourself for not having it done sooner.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mary Gee
on 6/20/16 6:43 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

As Grim said, your feelings are perfectly normal.  I've read many posts like yours.  Myself, I knew it was the best thing to do, and I wish I was able to do it sooner.  My insurance at work had an exclusion for WLS, and I could mot afford to self-pay.

You may have difficulty if you have to go on two week liquid diet before surgery... but you can do it.  And the first few weeks post-op you'll have to progress through all liquids, to pureed food, to soft food, then finally "real" food.  But believe me, having WLS is the best decision I ever made, and again, as Grim said, I wish I could have done it sooner.

You have to be committed to go through the pre-op and post-op stages.  It is so worth it.  One of the best decisions I've made in my life.  I can breathe easier, I can walk longer distances, I can sit in restaurant booths, I don't have to search for a chair that will hold me when I go to functions, I don't have to order cloths from catalogues any more, I can buckle seatbelts, I could go on and on.

So if you're committed to following your surgeon's program, go for it.  Pre-op jitters are normal.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

karenp8
on 6/20/16 6:48 am - Brighton, IL

I felt the same way too but I knew I had tried everything else and failed. About 4 years ago I weighed 273,had high cholesterol and triglycerides and uncontrolled high blood pressure on three pills. I was also diabetic and in need of a total knee replacement on the left knee. I had already had the right done in 2007 due to rheumatoid arthritis and a lifetime of being obese. My knees and back hurt every single day. I was exhausted and out of breath going down my basement stairs. For about the last three years I  have weighed 118 to 123 and the cholesterol and triglycerides problems are gone without the use of meds. My blood sugar is normal and so is my blood pressure on one low dose pill. I have no knee pain now and have not needed a replacement yet but am still on two meds for my RA. Very little pain from it at all anymore either. I walk at least 3 miles every day just because it makes me feel stronger and healthy. I no longer sit on a bench and watch people when we go to flea markets but walk and enjoy all the tables myself. Hubby can't keep up with me now. My new favorite hobby now is camping and hiking the trails with my dog at state parks. Some days we do as much as 6 or more miles easily! If you had told me 4 years ago as my size 26 self that I would be a size 0 or 1 I would have laughed at you. Get ready for a wild journey and don't sell yourself short. Make the most of the time right after surgery by measuring and tracking your food and following your doctor's directions to a T. You will be amazed at what you can achieve and be wondering what you were so worried about! And most important keep coming here for support and advice and to hold yourself accountable!

kerrilyn_123
on 6/20/16 9:02 am - Barrie, Canada

Hi there,

I just turned 60 years young! I am having revision surgery with Dr Hagen. I had a lapband put in at CIBO 3 years ago yup..they went bankrupt exactly 2 weeks after my surgery

$18000 gone AND my band flipped immediately ans causes me a "runners stitch" every single day!

So it has to come..why not revision at the same time right??

I am 5'2 HW 238 CW 213 just found out I have type 2 in March soooo lots of great reasons.

Many many diets 

I would love to hear from any in my "age" group

K

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1448 views