Exercise and Weight Loss

PulchritudinousGirl
on 6/29/16 12:40 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Okay...so I have read more than one comment on this site saying that exercise does not lead to weight loss.  What gives? This goes against everything I thought I knew about losing weight (calories in vs. calories out).  Can someone please explain what I'm missing?

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

acbbrown
on 6/29/16 12:52 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Its not that it does not lead to weight loss....its just that it has a relatively small impact overall. Most workouts (except long strenuous exercise) only burn a couple hundred calories. Even if you work out every day and burn say 400 calories - 400 x7 = 2800 calories burned in a week which is less than a whole pound. Most people and most machines and calorie burned estimators are WAY off and over inflated. Part of a healthy low calorie diet, and exercise is going to help lose weight. But exercise cannot offset a ****ty high calorie diet. I think ive seen estimates that diet is 80% of losing weight and exercise 20%.

It does however have an impact on future weight gain/loss/maintenance. Working out properly with some weight lifting can help slow the loss of muscle mass through the weight loss period and eventually can lead to an increase in muscle mass which means you will have a higher metabolic rate (burn more calories through out the day).

In my opinion, having learned the hard way, exercise shouldn't be done for the sole purpose of losing weight - it should be done for all the other health benefits, mentally and physically.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/29/16 6:55 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This is an excellent response.  Some rules of thumb:

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise

You can't exercise you way out of too many calories

Maintaining muscle mass takes weight training - not aerobics.  Lots of reasons to do aerobics - Zumba, spinning, but weight training is the best way to maintain and build muscle.  Most dieters (even non-WLS) will lose about 20-25% of their weight loss as muscle.

Exercise helps with stress reduction, sleep, BP etc

Sharon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/16 1:03 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

Generally speaking, exercise on its own-- without dietary changes-- doesn't usually lead to weight loss. Calorie-burn estimates are notoriously inaccurate, so if you're eating poorly but "jog it off," chances are that you're actually NOT.alth 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Valerie G.
on 6/29/16 1:20 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If it was that simple, I would have never needed wls.  I can't tell you how many people exclaimed at how little I ate for how big I was.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Laura in Texas
on 6/29/16 1:45 pm

Lots of studies have proven this to be true. I often see that losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise. Sadly, too many people believe the over-inflated "calories burned" as permission to eat more. Unless you are a hard core triathlete or run marathons, you really do not need more calories if you exercise. Eating back calories does not work for most of us and can lead to weight gain.

Lots of us here have proven we can maintain weight loss without formal exercise. I did not exercise for years and still maintained my loss. I started again last year because I know it is good for my overall health (physical and mental).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 6/29/16 2:17 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There have been a lot of studies, and lots of reasons.

In addition to what was mentioned above, those who exercise hard and frequently end up eating a lot more than those who simply engage in activities like walking. You can end up eating a lot more calories than you burn.

One recent study showed that those who were training for marathons gained weight. Mostly fat. Because they were eating so much more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Racewalker48
on 6/30/16 8:50 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Grim, I was one of those marathoners who trained hard while obese and didn't lose an ounce, because I was hungrier an ate more.  I even gained during my second marathon.  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/29/16 2:27 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

The amount of calories you will expend through exercise is not substantial enough to make a major impact on your weight loss.

Exercise is important for your physical health.  I think everyone on OH will agree that exercise is great for your health, but it's not a major contributor to getting the number on the scale to go down.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/16 4:44 pm

I don't want exercise to start getting a bad rap here, guys.  In the beginning right after surgery, you have to do what you have to do to get that maximum weight loss in that period of time before things start slowing down and settling, of course.  But after all that, consider some form of activity that you enjoy at a level you can manage.

I think everyone learns to live with their WLS in their own way.  Some of us are serious about our exercise, not with the intention of losing weight.  I can do many things that I could not do before.  Joint pain is almost gone except in the winter, my knees are in great shape, I have more energy than ever, I am shapely in a good way, it's how I relieve stress, it's how I interact with my kids because they are both athletic, it also taught me to push myself towards new goals that I never thought imaginable.  My insides are much more healthy than they were when I just ate properly.  Also, the exercise has motivated me to eat better than I did before.  Basically, exercise keeps me sane.  For others, they are able to do other activities or hobbies and be just fine.  It just depends on the person.  I don't lose weight from exercising but I have built muscle like no tomorrow and to me, having turned 35 yesterday, I am happier with my body now that I can actually ever literally remember.  People comment to me that I have recently lost 'more weight,' but I haven't.  I have to tell them I still weigh around 165 but it is a combination of proper diet and muscle composition. 

Something to think about:  Having WLS is just the beginning.  Our overall goal is total wellness and we should consider what we each individually need to get well, be well, and stay well.  

Most Active