NG tube

Bibo
on 7/21/16 11:09 pm

I CLEARLY have it all over my POLST and advanced directive, ON my medical alert bracelet, and we discussed my RNY at in the prep area with the anesthesiologist today while I was about to have another surgery. we talked about no NSAIDS, etc. we talked about  all the list of surgeries, etc. WAS TOLD that I would have a mask, and had a mask on my face when i went under.  I woke up with a HORRIBLE pain in my nose and was informed that I had been given an NG tube.  

I had HORRIBLE pain when i woke up, my nose is already messed up, and my pouch is screaming at me. I was able to eat a cracker or two in the recovery, I declined to Sugar jello becuase i again told them that i had a RNY gastric bypass, and I did drink a small amount of warm water. 

I had pain in my stomach and it felt like pain/nausea but not my usual, but i got the nurses to give me more zofran over the doctors orders, cause I have it prescibed anyway.

but when i was on the way home, I was hungry, having not eaten for most of the day, we stopped and i got some chicken breast and applesauce and green beans out, and...I could not swallow. stuff was getting stuck at my pouch entrance and what got through was burning all through my entire pouch.

I ate maybe two bites of food and wound up giving it to my friend. 

What I want to know is did anyone ever HAVE ONE PLACED after an RNY?  what was your experience? 

My pain is so bad I am headed to the ER.

My bypass was in 2013

I HATE doctors that ignore thier patients and also ignore standing orders . they are not GOD. Thank you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/22/16 3:40 am

Ugh.. We can have NG tube.. But not a blind NG. Did they explain why they placed NG tube inside you? Was it blind? 

IMO - best was would be to ask for a detailed surgery report to see what really happened. 

Sorry you are dealing with things like that. I hope you are OK. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/22/16 7:01 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

18 months posts Rny = Had facial plastic surgery -so no mask.  I think they put tube down my nose. 2 weeks ago I Had UBL = tube down mouth mouth. Still have sore on my mouth - went under with a mask.  No punctured pouch.   

Only thing I wanted after sugeries was to get to bed.  I do not think I could have tolerated the meal you describe. even after my 30 min shoulder surgery under propophyll (not general)  Home to SF FF yogurt.

Hope that your trip to ER resolves issues for you. You prob already have alerted your RNY surgeon. If not, do so.  If they are not local - find one who is.

Totally outraged that they did not do as agreed to with you.  That is whole different story. 

Sharon

NYMom222
on 7/22/16 7:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

As Hala said we can have NG tubes just not blind ones. They need to be able to see where they are going. That being said any tube down your throat can be irritating- even pre-WLS.

Feel better and maybe stick to softer foods for the time being.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1218 views