How often shoukd u be weighing urself?

riridigi
on 7/27/16 4:25 am
RNY on 06/20/16

So 8 years ago I lost 114 pounds wit just diet and exercise (LA weightloss). I was becoming obsessed with weighing myself. (Sometimes twice a day) I got into a car accident and I gained it all back plus. I had bypass in June. I have lost almost 50 pounds but I'm on that damn scale daily. 

Is it bad to weight urself daily. When I lost it the 1st time it came off on its own. This time around I need the help of surgery. Just couldn't seem to get it off. The ppl at LA told me it wasn't healthy to weight myself that often.

Lovely_Caprice
on 7/27/16 4:40 am

I think once or twice a week is fine.  More than that - not a good thing. 

peachpie
on 7/27/16 5:11 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

It depends on how easily you can take the fluctuations in your weight day to day without letting It drive you mad. Only you know that.

i weigh daily- but I'm part of a weight loss study that requires that. Prior to I was weighing weekly-- I much prefer daily. I average my weight I've recorded for seven days to get a weekly weight to monitor my long term progress.

if it drives you crazy- put the scale away. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

pr31
on 7/27/16 5:12 am

For me it's a mental game.  I weigh my self daily (at least), but only count the Friday morning weigh in.  Just can't seem to break the habit of stepping on the scale before I hop in the shower in the morning.  I think most will say once a week is the standard.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/16 5:39 am

When I was losing - I got obsessed.  Upon advice from a counselor I started weighing myself once a week.  I got over my obsession.  Over the Years post op I used to weight myself weekly, monthly..every once in a while. The once in a while ...got me to 25 lbs regain... When I was losing that - I tried to weigh myself daily, remembering that my weight can fluctuate within 5-6 lbs depending on what iate, how good my BM was, how much salt was in my diet.  I do try to weigh myself once a day. That not only gives me idea about my weight and body fat% but it also gives me a view into my hydration - and helps me determine my food and drinks in the day... 

Because I follow low carb diet - I need to eaither carb refeed every few days or add more salt to my meals to prevent dehydration.  It is a one line... I try not to be obsessed with a number - but rather look at it as a range I know I need to be within. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chassibi
on 7/27/16 5:43 am

Ignoring the scale got me to this point. I will likely weigh daily for the rest of my life. There are worse things.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

pammieanne
on 7/27/16 5:45 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

This is such a personal answer. There's no right or wrong to it. It's what works best for you.

Some like the daily affirmation of the scale. Other's just like to get an overall weight for the week... other's only weigh monthly.

I weigh daily. With a very big ritual... must be after morning potty break, dry hair, nothing to drink or eat, and no clothes AT ALL to disturb the scale LOL

You need to do you. And you'll find the right answer then.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

JaxLiving
on 7/27/16 5:58 am - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I weigh daily! Not sure it's the best way, but it works for me. It keeps me accountable!!!

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/27/16 6:00 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It really depends on whether or not you let the scale dictate your day. If you start going nutty over the numbers then maybe 1x a week would be good. If you don't obsess over the numbers & allow for daily fluctuations in your weight then weigh everyday.

It really depends on how much power you give to the scale.

Since I work a rotating shift, I weigh myself b4 my day watch & my days off. I don't when I work nights or on my TOM.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Laura in Texas
on 7/27/16 6:37 am

Find what works for you. Some people during the losing phase only weigh at their doctor's office. If you are truly sticking to your plan, that is a good idea for people who obsess. Personally, I weigh every day. I am almost 8 years out. I can do a lot of damage in a week. Mentally, it is easy for me to lose 3 pounds, but mentally it would crush me if I got over 20. I would probably want to give up (10 has been my biggest bounce up since surgery), so I keep my weight in check.

If you are not already doing so, tracking your weight somewhere like TREND WEIGHT is a great idea. You can see the trend of your weight. It takes into account normal fluctuations.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active