Batsh*t crazy

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/16 8:23 pm

*for those unluckies that WERE hungry less than a week post op only*

I have been starving since 3 days post op. I mean the stomach cramping kind of hunger but the thought of another protein shake or broth makes me nauseous. What did y'all do to get through this until the purees stage?  

lauren03935
on 7/27/16 10:34 pm
VSG on 07/08/16

I know the first week is a little hard, but once you get used to not eating for a while, it gets easier. I drank Gateorade (zero cal) premier chocolate shakes I was allowed to have on day 5, different crystal light flavors, and chicken/beef broth. The full liquid diet was easier because there was a wider range of liquids. A lot of the times I'd sup slowly on a cold Gateorade and it helped a lot of make my stomach feel full. Just try your best and trust me it does get a lot easier. I'm currently 20 days post op and I am starting to get my appetite back which scares me a little but I've read a lot that our stomachs are still healing and the whole restriction/not feeling hungry part will come with time. Good luck!!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/28/16 5:13 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Did your surgeon give you an antacid? I was getting super hungry pains in the morning but realized it was just stomach acid

Its gotten much better (2 months post op)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/16 5:22 pm

Yes and I take it faithfully : (

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/16 7:44 am

I would try to drink something before you eat anything. Sometimes we are actually thirsty and it mocks hunger. Remember one meal at a time. 

Best wishes to you. If there is any crap in the house that may be trigger foods throw them away. 

emelar
on 7/28/16 8:02 am - TX

I never loss my hunger.  It just became a whole lot more manageable.  And the all liquid phase of the post-op diet sucks no matter what.

Take an antacid.  If your doc didn't prescribe one, take Pepcid AC - or call your doc and get a recommendation from them.  Your stomach will produce excess acid for awhile after surgery until it tapers down.  Word of caution - when you're ready to stop with whatever antacid or PPI you might be on, phase it out slowly.  If you go cold turkey, your stomach goes into acid overdrive again.

Drink more.  Dehydration also mimics hunger.

Other than that - broths, fudgsicles, popsicles, protein drinks, jello, milk, coffee and tea (assuming your plan allows coffee and tea).  If you're feeling well enough, distract yourself and try to think of something other than eating.  Some of what you're feeling are hunger pangs, but a lot of it is just the disruption of your usual routine, which involves eating, and head hunger.  Power through it!

Boxerlover3452
on 7/29/16 7:24 am
RNY on 06/06/16

www.bingeeatingtherapy.com  for a list of 101 things to do instead of eating

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/16 2:47 pm

So u give someone else ideas/options of alternative foods to help them through post op hunger but I get a link to 101 ways to avoid binge eating? That doesn't seem right.

Boxerlover3452
on 7/29/16 7:45 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

WHAT??????

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/16 11:28 pm

I was looking for alternative liquids ideas to get me through. I'm not binge eating. I keep myself super busy but no matter what I'm doing my stomach growls really loud and cramps. I am on clear liquids and have stuck to that and protein shakes only. I guess i didn't really understand the reason for the link.