Home Alone

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/16 8:49 am

Is it okay to be alone after coming home from hospital?  

Theduffman27
on 7/28/16 8:56 am
VSG on 11/19/14

I had my VSG on a Wednesday, came home on a Friday afternoon and my wife and kids had to leave for a weekend Hockey tourney that same afternoon. Just the Dog and I until Sunday. I slept a lot and walked a lot when I was awake. The funny part is the dog seemed to sense my  stomach was sore and was not all over me like normal. I did have calls from My MIL and my folks, though my folks were in Florida and I was in NY...LOL

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/16 9:02 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

I imagine the peace and quiet for a couple of days would be nice. I had no issues after my surgery (an open RNY). Basically rested and enjoyed a little time off work. Just be very conscience of the beginnings of an infection and call for help if needed. Most recoveries are uneventful for the most part. Congrats on your surgery! 

rachelp
on 7/28/16 9:05 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I agree...it sounds real nice hahaha

z_m14
on 7/28/16 9:10 am
RNY on 07/05/16

I came home on a Saturday, so my parents were with me for two days. The following Monday-Friday, I was alone. The quiet time was nice, but I really enjoyed their company. I honestly hate being at home by myself for long periods of time.

When they came home from work in the late afternoon, I was excited just like my dogs, LOL.

But in all honesty, you should be ok being alone. If something happens, you can always dial 911.

Grim_Traveller
on 7/28/16 9:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Is it ok? It's preferable!

The only restriction you will have is lifting. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk (about ten pounds) for the first 8 weeks. (Most doctors say 6 weeks.)

I think you'll be fine, and be glad for the quiet, so you can rest.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/28/16 9:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It might be helpful to have somebody you can call, "just in case." Neighbor, coworker, etc. That way if you're suddenly out of pain meds and can't drive to pick them up, or something else crazy happens, you've got a backup who can help out.

Otherwise, though, you should be fine. I slept for 3 days straight!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/28/16 12:57 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I had a couple minor issues that I was happy my DH was there to help with.  One thing that worried me a bit but mostly made me uncomfortable was my stomach on nights 2-4 started having spasms.  I came online and found that it was more than likely an acid issue so along with my normal prescribed PPI I took some tums and would get up and walk.  They would settle down and I'd go back to sleep (they mostly woke me up at night).  The other issue again which was more annoying than anything was that I had an allergic reaction to the glue they used.  It caused 1-2" of red swollen sores to show around ea*****ision and also I was covered in what looked like chicken pox.  This lasted about 3 weeks.  If anyone wants pictures of this PM me LOL.

So the DH was helpful for my late night walk abouts getting the spasms to calm down.  Now that I know they could happen, I know they were no big deal and they didn't hurt, it was just scary at the time wondering what was going on.  Next the DH was great for putting the steroid cream all over me to help with the itching.  I totally could have done this on my own though.

I had my WLS at 5am and by 5pm I was at home.  I came in and wanted a shower and then I hopped in bed and watched some tv while playing on my phone.  I slept a lot but in short burst.  If someone sleeps with you, they will not be sleeping much so they'd need to be off work IMO in order to not throw you into the backyard.  During the day you need to get up and walk anyway so making something to drink is no big deal at all.  Get yourself a small pillow to brace your belly with when you get out of bed, take it slow and then your off to the races.  I carried my little pillow around with me a couple days so I could brace my belly for getting on the couch or getting back in bed too.  

So can you go it alone, yep.  I would let a close friend know you'll be home and know their schedule just in case.  I did call on a friend day 3 when the maids showed up and I didn't remember they were comming.  I was a bit brain fried and I like to leave when they are there, she came over and we went for a short shopping trip and for a cup of tea.  

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

karenp8
on 7/28/16 1:49 pm - Brighton, IL

My hubby took off work the day of my surgery and that was all so I was home alone and did just fine. I'm sure you will too!

-Flo-
on 7/28/16 3:15 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I guess I'm a baby. I needed help after surgery, however mine was an open procedure. It was so painful to move, it was nice to have someone get me tea, soup etc

Most Active