Problem to RNY revise to VSG?

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/5/16 2:00 pm - Belleville, IL

Hi- I had the RNY in 2010, had great success am down to just around 120 lbs, however had always been plagued by liver and pancreatic problems AFTER RNY surgery. Just came out of hospital where the CT Contrast ultra sound showed that stitches to my unused stomach were open and  food contents were inside and causing fermentation and problems? I have appointment with Bari Surgeon on the 16th, but wonder if they can revise to a VSG for medical reasons or if they will just restitch the stomach? (I know these are questions  for the surgeon just wondering if anyone had anything similar happen?)  Weight is still good, just having tons of serious liver and medical problems due to the staple line failing?   I posted this in the revision forums and of course will post Bari Surgeon's results on the 16th as well. Mainly just wondering if anyone else went through something similar?

Warmly,

Jackie E.

Chilipepper
on 8/5/16 4:02 pm

Are you sure they aren't talking about a blind limb. It's a little appendage that forms off the pouch and food gets stuck in it and ferments.   Or did they say the word fistula at all?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Grim_Traveller
on 8/5/16 4:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I was guessing fistula.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/5/16 4:23 pm - Belleville, IL

Grim:

It could very well be, once the surgeon gets his eyes to view himself the video disk of all the tests (labs and MRI/Scans etc) I will know more and correct any misinformation. I just know I am feeling miserable and hope the Doc's can correct whatever is wrong so that..

1) My Bari-surgery WORKS again

2) No more severe malabsorption and liver/gastro/pancreatic issues. (Maybe they are all uninvolved).

You all are awesome, thanks.

Warmly,

Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/5/16 4:13 pm - Belleville, IL

Chili!  (((hugs))) Hey you, I always value your posts!

The GI and ER docs said the transected part of the stomach where the un-used remnant stomach was had staple leakage, AND the unused limb as well, there were (pardon my TMI) food and stool in both the blind limb and the remnant stomach. They could see the staples had separated at the main pouch transaction line.  I will be speaking to the Bari-Surgeon to see what he says, the CT/Ultra Sound and MRI were all done with and without contrast and supposedly there was a lot of "crap" (literally and figuratively) inside both areas.

My Pancreatic Enzymes and Liver enzymes are still way up, and even though I was IN hospital eating no food for 3+ days (IV only) food/stool remained in both the blind limb and remnant stomach...Weird huh? I just had never heard of that.  This is a new one for me!

Thanks for help and advise or just a sympathetic ear.

Warmly,

Jackie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/5/16 4:35 pm - Belleville, IL

Chili and Grim-

I looked up "gastro-gastric fistula" and this seemed exactly what the GI docs were talking about and I bet it is. I know they were speaking of revision and were concerned about my blood labs, etc.   Hoping to get this revised and that it won't be a "literal pain" but we do what we gotta do,

Thanks guys, and I feel more "empowered now" after looking up the fistula stuff.  Now I got ammo to toss out to my bari-surgeon.

Warmly,

Jackie  (Who's tired of being sick)

Chilipepper
on 8/6/16 8:23 am

I had a gastro gastric fistula with a blind limb. It has to be fixed. Let me know what they say. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/6/16 10:42 am - Belleville, IL

Chili-

How did yours heal up? Do you have any old posts you can direct me too? Do they just "re-do" the surgery? Not looking forward to ANY surgery, but hey, I also really DO want to feel better and right now I am feeling pretty crappy and nauseous and not so great.  It's like a cavity...You don't like the dentist, but you gotta get done what you gotta do to make the tooth feel better, right?

All my old (and new) friends have been supportive and I appreciate that from you all. Thanks.

Warmly,

Jackie

chassibi
on 8/6/16 6:33 am

Hope they get this figured out and you fixed up quickly! I'm sure your levels will come back down and many of the problems fix themselves once the limb and suture line are corrected. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Most Active