Lost and Afraid

mambasmojo
on 8/9/16 11:51 pm

Hi I am new here. I am over 6ft tall and 445lbs. I used to be heavier and started fasting and drinking more water. But now my doctor wants me to consider surgery. And I would be ok with that if general anesthesia wasn't the only option being offered. I know the risk of staying at this weight is dangerous. I have both Medicaid and Medicare and I need some real support and guidance on where or who to talk to about non surgical options or a doctor on Georgia that uses regional anesthesia. I feel lost and alone.

chassibi
on 8/10/16 6:45 am

Maybe a better question is why are you scared of general anesthesia? Bad reaction in the past? You know if you continue down this path, you will face surgeries that require it.....so why not just do it now? And stay alive longer? Just my thoughts...

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

mambasmojo
on 8/10/16 5:52 pm

Yeah that was a bit unnecessary because I know of other options outside of surgery and I need to find more support about those options but thanks

Teena D.
on 8/10/16 7:06 am, edited 8/10/16 12:19 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

With how invasive this surgery is, I'm fairly certain that General is the only option?

Having said that, maybe reading the success stories will help?  

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

mambasmojo
on 8/10/16 5:52 pm

Thank you but I have read on Bariatrics Time that other doctors are using Regional Anesthesia

Lodie
on 8/10/16 7:35 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Welcome to OH! You are not alone anymore. There are so many people here from every walk of life, I'm sure you will find valuable insight.  You did not say why you don't want general anesthesia. If it is a phobia regarding being "put under " and not waking up then that should be dealt with separately. Possibly through additional information or therapy. If you have had something specific happen in the past that frightened you then your anesthesiologist can speak to you regarding those issues and be alerted and prepared. I would encourage you to continue to move toward the surgery. I has been life changing for so many, in ways you can't even imagine when obese. Keep reading  and use the search option to find posts related to your major concerns. You know you will be so much healthier as you move through this process. Keep posting!

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

Deanna798
on 8/10/16 7:57 am
RNY on 08/04/15

If you had to have emergency surgery because of a heart condition, would you be reluctant to allow them to save your life? 

I was 5'3", 300lbs, 42 years old and had never had surgery when I had my RNY.  I am an ex smoker and though I had quit smoking 3 years before surgery, I was really worried about how I would react with general anesthesia.  

But, ultimately I wanted to be able to live until i am 80 or 90 years old, and like I've heard so many times before, you never see obese old people.

You are not alone.  Do not be afraid, the dangers of surgery are the same regardless of the procedure.  If you had to have an emergency appendectomy, you'd do it.  Save your life! 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

hollykim
on 8/10/16 8:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 10, 2016 at 6:51 AM Pacific Time, mambasmojo wrote:

Hi I am new here. I am over 6ft tall and 445lbs. I used to be heavier and started fasting and drinking more water. But now my doctor wants me to consider surgery. And I would be ok with that if general anesthesia wasn't the only option being offered. I know the risk of staying at this weight is dangerous. I have both Medicaid and Medicare and I need some real support and guidance on where or who to talk to about non surgical options or a doctor on Georgia that uses regional anesthesia. I feel lost and alone.

no doctor is going to do abdominal surgery with regional anesthesia.

mambasmojo
on 8/10/16 5:54 pm

Not true, I have read at Bariatrics Time there are doctors doing it

hollykim
on 8/12/16 9:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 11, 2016 at 12:54 AM Pacific Time, mambasmojo wrote:

Not true, I have read at Bariatrics Time there are doctors doing it

this is a study about doing it. It doesn't say there are doctors that are doing it,just that there is the possibility that it might be a viable option. 

I still don't think there are in doctors in the US who would do this.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1449 views