I was sad for a moment, but then I realized...

Deanna798
on 8/16/16 10:55 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was thinking about my struggle with food, and how this last year has been a constant fight to keep myself in line and on plan.  I have serious issues with eating, and even after surgery fight tooth and nail to stay on track.  It's sometimes exhausting, and sometimes it seems like there is no way I can keep this up for the next 40+ years (I plan on living for a very, very long time).

Then I thought about it, and stood up and did 10 jumping jacks.  I remembered running and playing tag with my almost 3 year old outside of the library this morning.  I walk miles and miles and have no problems.  When I was on vacation last month I climbed up and down over 500 steps (each way) to get to the top of Chimney Rock in North Carolina.  When on vacation this weekend I carried a full cooler down 5 flights of stairs because one of the elevators was out and the wait got really long.  

I JUST realized that no matter now much I struggle, and how much it can suck at times to fight against myself with food, it's all worth it.  ALL THE STRUGGLE IS WORTH IT!

I will live to see my sons grow up and graduate high school, I will live to see my grandkids born, and I will live to be the person I am supposed to be.

Don't get discouraged when things get tough, look at all of the good that has come or will come from your struggle.  It really is all worth it.

Here's a change.  This picture popped up on my facebook memories.  One year ago today:

and this I just took for comparison

Just one year later and I feel like a completely different person!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

pammieanne
on 8/16/16 11:10 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

You may struggle, but let it be known you've been someone that I've looked up to during my short 3 months of RNY... you aren't perfect, and you struggle, but you keep it real.

It's easy for anyone to get on here and be all happy (think of all those perfect people on your FB page ), and perfect with their eating and exercise. But it takes another type of person altogether to share their imperfections and struggles, and STILL persevere through it and SUCCEED!

You've done a fantastic job! I'm proud of you

HAPPY ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Deanna798
on 8/16/16 11:19 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm very flattered that you see me that way, because half the time I feel like a hot mess.

My 1 year follow up with my surgeon is tomorrow, thank goodness I'm below his goal for me by a few pounds.  

I think that you are going to continue to succeed.  I think this because you come here and continue to make this wls thing a major part of your life.  I believe I have figured out a way to never fall back into complacence.  That is by coming here and being involved and accountable for myself, good choices or bad.  I see that in you!  

Too many people let it go and just turn and walk away from it. They try to go on with their lives like they were never obese and never had surgery, but I have realized that thinking that way is a recipe for regain.  

I may still struggle here, but at least here I'm surrounded by my peeps.  You all understand the struggle, you all have gone through it or will go through it just like me.  I am never alone in this community, because there are hundreds of people just like me here.  We've all got the same goals to be healthy, regardless of if we make it to goa weight or not.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/20/16 7:22 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hugs and kisses - it is not easy - it is do-able!!!

Sharon

Jo_Jo
on 8/16/16 11:22 am
RNY on 02/09/16

You have great timing. I just put a piece of dark chocolate in my mouth and spit it out. I know, not very lady like, but I'm glad. Lol. I also like how you keep it real. We all struggle everyday I'm sure, but you write about it. Thanks for sharing. You're doing great.

4' 11" Female. Sw 238. Goal138. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/20/16 7:23 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

YES - Spit that puppy out.  (Some times while I am chew, chew, chewing, my next bite and I realize that I am full - I spit it out.) Yeah, I haven't got that lady-like piece figured out either.

Sharon

chassibi
on 8/16/16 12:09 pm

Thanks Deanna! I think this WILL be a lifelong struggle for me too. It's not going to be easy. But I consider coming here part of my lifelong plan. Thanks for being you...

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

crystal M.
on 8/16/16 1:54 pm - Joliet, IL

I am 7+ years out and I have had that exact same thought.  "Oh god I am supposed to keep this up for another 30-40 years" It's funny you said that. 

But yes it is worth it!!! 

supershopper
on 8/16/16 3:26 pm

first- you are awesome and don't forget it!

Second- I've been feeling much the same way the past couple weeks or more.

It is getting harder the further I am out- 8 months this week.

I know that it will always be a challenge and sometimes we will fail.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

AntoniaP
on 8/16/16 3:27 pm

Hi Deanna

I am thinking about surgery. i have an apt with a surgeon in mid september. 

i have been struggling with my weight my entire life and despite my efforst, i always sabbotage myself and gain even more weight.  I want to be happier but I worry that life after surgery and the eating restrictions will be too complicated. How do you find it overall? I would love some guidance.

Most Active