Low-ish BP help

mute
on 8/19/16 5:46 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm on a beta blocker for migraines that I've been on for a few years. I started getting dizzy about 6 months ago and basically started having orthostatic hypotension because my weight has changed so drastically in the last 18 months and I hadn't changed my migraine meds. I wanted to get off as many meds anyway so I talked to both my bariatric surgeon and Neuro and they agreed that I should get off my beta blocker because my bp was right around the bubble of the low area.

So I stopped it about 2.5 months ago. And the migraines came back with a vengeance. I started getting aura migraines, which I rarely ever got before even during the worst. We tried a different med and it didn't work.

So TL;DR I'm back on a low dose of the beta blocker. And I'm getting dizzy spells again but I will take dizziness over migraines any day of the week!

Any suggestions to manage low BP without medication?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/16 6:36 am

Salt pills with potassium. Lots of salt reach in minerals. 

Avoid hot showers - baths. 

Have you consider inversion tables?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 8/21/16 8:56 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I haven't considered inversion tables...and hadn't even thought of those before. They hadn't come up in my searches either. I'll look into that, thanks.

White Dove
on 8/19/16 6:51 am - Warren, OH

Eating a banana a day might be enough.  Other high potassium foods are:  papaya, prune juice, raisins, mango, oranges, cantaloupe, pears.

I have seen people get potassium from low salt diets and correct it with high potassium foods.  You can also add more salt.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mute
on 8/21/16 8:58 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I don't want to add too much fruit due to carbs at this point. I'm still trying to lose more weight and I eat some veggies but not a lot of fruit, just very occasionally.

I eat a lot of salt already lol. I'll look into the high potassium foods that aren't fruits though, thanks!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 8/19/16 7:19 am

Mine came up a bit when I added more salt to my diet, and I haven't had any dizziness since then. My BP is low normal now.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Grim_Traveller
on 8/19/16 7:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Salt. Powerade Zero also has a variety of electrolytes.

Get up slowly from sitting or lying down.

More salt.

There are drugs that can raise your BP if it is dangerously low. But that would really be a last option.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mute
on 8/21/16 9:00 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Definitely want to avoid any more drugs and it's not dangerously low. I think I can deal with it where it is right now. But if I can make it better without drugs on my own I definitely want to try. 

I already eat a ton of salt lol!

crystal M.
on 8/19/16 9:43 am - Joliet, IL

I have the same problem.  I have low blood pressure and I am on migraine medicine.  To top it off I have allergies and my sinuses and ears get all blocked up (year around)...so I get very dizzy at times.  I do take allergy medicine also.  The dizziness is more noticeable when I get up to fast or if I move my head a lot. 

I was told to add more salt to my diet also.  My doctor suggested soup.  Soup has lots of sodium...but can also have lots of carbs.  So I have to be choosey.  I will eat salted almonds as a snack. 

Because of the added issue with my ears being clogged all of the time.  My doctor has not been able to conclusively say for sure if my dizziness is from the low blood pressure or an inner ear problem.   

Oh I have noticed that Bonine Pills (they are for motion sickness) helps me so much.  You can buy them at Walgreens. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/16 11:11 am

have you been checked for food allergies? or candida (systemic yeast)?

I know my ears get "blocked" and I have sinus drain (back of my throat - affects my vocal cords) when I eat dairy - that lead me to get food allergy test and I tested positive for dairy... If i eat cheese- I get the symptoms and they may last2-4 days after I stop eating cheese. . . if i drink whey proteins or have the yogurt- the symptoms are worse -since Y get more concentrated dairy proteins. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active