Complete weight loss stall at 6-7 months????

CMR1075
on 8/28/16 9:18 am
VSG on 01/15/16

So I missed my 6 month post op with my surgeon because of a miscommunication about getting lab work completed. I thought that I would be getting my labs done at the office like at my first appt. Apparently they have you go do that at a lab itself. Anyways, I'm scheduled to see them Tues but I am in such a funk about my weight loss. Here I am at 7 months out and I haven't lost in over a month. Well, I take that back, I lost a lb finally about 2 days ago. Not sure what the heck is going on. I can say I cheated just a tiny bit on my honeymoon cruise and had an adult fruity beverage here and there and ate SOME, not a lot, of carbs (breads, a few bites of dessert, a half of sandwich one day). But I got a horrible stomach bug on the cruise the last 3 days and I think it was God's cruel way of helping me lose the weight I would have gained from the trip and punishment for eating bread lol. As soon as I got home, I went back to my norm of eating before the cruise. When I got back from my cruise on the 13th I was still the same weight as when I left, 189. But...I have been 189, well now 188, for a while now. A month ago I was 190 so in a months time I only lost 2 lbs. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I feel like at this point I should be down way more :( 

I see most of all of you dropped tons by this point in the weight loss journey so what the hell am I doing wrong? Do you think this is it for me, will I be this weight from here on out? Has anyone experienced this??? Before you ask, my diet is protein protein protein, and some veggies. And I work out a few times a week, cardio and weights. It's seriously discouraging and stressful. I feel like I'm gonna get yelled at my appt on Tues for even trying bread. I've been so good and was at my stall way before my vacation so what gives! 

I am seriously grateful for the 62 lbs lost so far but at the same time I'm depressed I am not close to my goal weight at this point. UGH

White Dove
on 8/28/16 9:26 am - Warren, OH

The first six months is pretty easy.  After that you have to start counting calories if you want to lose more weight.  You still can lose but will have to work at it.  God will not punish you for eating bread, but your scale will.  Weigh, measure and track everything you eat using My Fitness Pal.  Weigh yourself daily.  Your pre-cruise normal way of eating may have too many calories and have put you into maintenance. 

Try cutting 500 calories a day and see if you don't lose a pound a week.

The less that you weigh, the less calories you need to maintain or lose. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CMR1075
on 8/28/16 9:59 am
VSG on 01/15/16

500 calories a day seems so little now compared to when I first started this surgery journey. I do monitor my calories on MFP. I typically eat about 800 a day which I didn't think was too terrible. Some days I eat over that, others under it - but generally I'm about 800 a day. The days I go to they gym is typically when I tend to eat a little more. I get hungry between breakfast and lunch and will eat a protein bar which is usually about 190 calories and not budgeted into my 800 calories. I should probably cut them out completely and just have cucumbers or something that isn't too damaging calorie wise. I do obsessively weigh myself daily, sometimes day and night. 

acbbrown
on 8/28/16 12:48 pm - Granada Hills, CA

If you're truly eating an avg of 800 calories a day, you should be losing weight. You may be in a stall and the WL will resume shortly. If you're not eating 800 calories, then you are probably eating at your maintenance point  

I often have long stalls where my weight fluctuates over a 2lb range and then every couple weeks, I'll drop 4-5 lbs  it makes no sense at all to me but that's how my body rolls  

But...just from my own experience - I often under estimated how much I was eating - even when tracking with MFP. For a while, I had to measure and weigh everything to the T. Little nibble and licks here and there were adding up. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 8/29/16 4:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I can't like this post enough.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 8/28/16 1:44 pm

If you are saying you are eating 800 calories plus 190, that is a lot. Many people maintain on 1000 calories a day. It's not fair, but it is what it is. You should not eat more just because you exercise. That generally does not work for us.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

catwoman7
on 8/28/16 1:47 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

there's nothing wrong with an occasional protein bar, but those 190 calories should definitely be counted.  190 calories is a lot!

I agree with the weighing and measuring advice.  I have to weigh and measure everything because my estimates are otherwise way off.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

CMR1075
on 8/28/16 2:02 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Oh I for sure count them. That's why I mentioned that there were days I did eat over the 800. Every little bite I put in my mouth is weighed and accounted for. It's not daily that I do that, and if it's 2 times a week it's a lot but it does happen. There are just some days I feel super hungry after working out and drinking water doesn't seem to curve it, so I will grab a protein bar. 190 calories is the least I can find that doesn't have a ton of carbs in it. This is what confuses me though because my NUT said that it was perfectly fine to do that every so often because I am working out but then I've been told different from you guys. I know that if anyone knows what works and what doesn't is the ones that have had the surgery....so why does my NUT tell me something that's going to cause me to stay at this weight   

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback because I am starting to get so depressed about this and will do anything not to slip deeper into it. I will for sure cut back on the calories and see how that does. What do you all do for when hunger does strike and you can't seem to shake it? 

acbbrown
on 8/28/16 3:15 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I keep hard boiled eggs and raw veggies around for actual unmanageable hunger. If I'm truly hungry I'll eat those (my two least favorite snacks). They always do the trick for real hunger. If it doesn't work, something more than physical hunger is going on. 

Just as a side note, it's important to find a life, an identity, sense of purpose outside of losing weight. If stalls are causing depression, you should explore that before it gets worse. I went down that rabbit hole myself and there is nothing but misery to be found. That number doesn't define you or your self worth. Stay off the scale if you have to. Just don't let the scale control your mental health. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

CMR1075
on 8/29/16 7:20 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Thanks acbbrown! I am trying not to let it get me down. I do have plenty of other things outside weight loss but I guess it's just taken a toll on me lately because I wanted to be smaller at this point. I had someone at work tell me that her sister in law had the sleeve surgery done just 2 months ago and is down 71 lbs and she wasn't much bigger than me when she started so I was thinking what the hell am I doing wrong? Granted she's about 20 years younger than me but that's besides the point. I guess I need to just stop comparing and just go with the flow. 

Most Active