help-- advice on revision after VBG

FocusedDiva
on 8/29/16 8:00 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Some background: I had a VBG in 1996. Went from 330 to 240. Had a couple of kids and noticed that my eating was no longer restricted. Contacted my surgeon and discovered this is a problem with pregnancy. The staple line unzippers. Amazingly, I was able to work really hard to lose more weight ... and eventually, I went on a commerical weight loss program and started running. For nearly 5 years, I weighed 140 lbs through hard, hard work, major exercise, and very few calories. Well, that wasn't sustainable. I regained and am back up to 225. Recently had stomach pain and went for an upper endoscopy. The doc said he saw erosion around the original staple line and to follow up with a bariatric surgeon. Which is what I am doing now. But my insurance only had one doctor listed as in network. I have no idea if this doc will know about a VBG or what to do when it fails. Nor would I qualify for revision surgery, I don't think, under my insurance's terms. My BMI is under 35 (barely). I do not have high blood pressure or diabetes or arthritis. However, I am scared to death of my creeping weight gain. And I can't believe I'm back here after working so hard for a decade to keep my weight under control. I'm 44 and 5'7. Does anyone have any advice about what might be the best thing to do? I would love something like a lap band, if approved. I do not want any mroe cutting. I am worried about insurance covering -- they may decline it, unless it can be positioned as necessary due to the prior surgery failing? Also, all of the scar tissue may cause an issue with that surgery. I just don't know, but I am pretty upset and worried. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/29/16 8:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The Lap Band is NOT a great idea. Because of the high complication rates and low rate of long-term success, many surgeons aren't even performing the surgery anymore.

Your best bet is to talk to a surgeon who can look at your specific medical situation, and who can call your insurance carrier to see what the situation is. Nobody here can give you answers on either, best to talk to the experts.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sheriberi29
on 8/29/16 8:29 am - Cleveland, TN

Please vibist the lap and board before deciding . So many of us are having to fight for revisions and removals just to feel ok. A lot of us have permanent damage. Also my insurance did not require a bmi of 40 for revision. Just evidence of a surgical or medical complication before it would approve a revision surgery 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Grim_Traveller
on 8/29/16 10:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Please don't do a band. Not unless you want to go through more years of needless suffering.

The VBG was a horrible, horrible surgery. It cause lots of people really terrible complications, pain, and suffering. There's a reason it is no longer performed.

Don't set your sights on ANY particular surgery yet. See a few doctors, and get a few opinions. Because of the damage your insides received from the VBG, it is likely that VSG, or RNY, could make it worse. Listen to the doctors, and go with what someone who knows your situation recommends.

I usually tell people the choice is theirs. But with complications like you have, leave the choice to a professional. They are the experts.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jenorama
on 8/29/16 12:25 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I agree with the no lap band, especially since you are already dealing with an erosion situation.  One of the first things to do would be to speak to your insurance and get the exact particulars of what sorts of things are covered.  Then you can go forward with researching your bariatric options.  I agree that you will likely need someone skilled in revisions.  Don't be afraid to be upfront with your questions.  Some surgeons have super horrible bedside manners and may try to give you the brush off.  Be persistent!

Good luck in your endeavors!

Jen

FocusedDiva
on 8/29/16 3:50 pm

Wow, thanks for the fast responses. I had no idea the lap band was so widely panned. Sadly, I only have one baratric surgeon in network in my area and I have no idea if he's any good. I'll find out, I guess.

Ill check out the revisions forum, too. Unbelievable that the VBG turned out to be so bad. Other than not being restricted at all anymore, I haven't had any other ill effects from it. NO reflux or pain. It's only recently I was having pain, and it might not even be related to the VBG. The doc only noted an 'erosion' near the original staple line. I don't know what that means. He couldn't explain it either. Thanks again. If anyone has any other thoughts about what I should research or think about, please please let me know. I can't believe I had an open VBG only to be in this position years later. This was supposed to be a "life" change.  All that pain and suffering. On the other hand, I might actually be dead if I didn't get it when I did. So .. yeah. There's that.

Most Active