General Health After

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/16 7:38 pm

Hey all! Recently I've come down with a pretty nasty cold. This isn't super surprising, I get sick fairly regularly (basically every time the seasons change). I'm wondering if part of the reason I get sick so frequently is because my weight. Does being heavy compromise your immune system? Also, for those post op- do you feel like you get sick with colds or flue less often (or more)? Just a random thought. Have a good night!

seattledeb
on 9/18/16 8:55 pm

I've never read anything about weight per se decreasing your immune system. I would think during the rapid weight loss period there may be some hit to your system just because so many of your body systems are working overtime.

Interesting thought.

Maronita
on 9/19/16 3:34 am

Like Seatle Deb, I have never heard of weight effecting the immune system!  Now that being said, I too, seemed to be

sick all the time and chalked it up to allergies (I had allergy test and was determined to be allergic to sage, feathers and hay-fever.

I, therefore, was on allergy meds year round!  I did also had colds and flu.  I've lost most of my weight and have noticed less

colds, flu, and allergies.  Maybe it is because I eat a lot healthier.  I find I can eat fish, and chicken/turkey but no red meats.  I therefore

am ALMOST completely vegetarian.

Best of Luck!

Maronita

Insert Fitness
on 9/19/16 4:05 am

I haven't heard anything regarding weight and its effect on the immune system.  However any number of medications can have an effect. For example, PPIs, like pantoloc or any meds prescribed to reduce stomach acid. Stomach acid is one of your first lines of defence against a lot illnesses. 

mute
on 9/19/16 4:47 am
RNY on 03/23/15

In terms of being generally sick with the flue, colds, or along those lines I don't feel like I'm sick any more than the average person. And since my surgery 18 months ago I think I've only gotten sick once. Which isn't a ton less than normal - we did have a mild winter here so I attribute it to that around here.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

alouisa63
on 9/19/16 5:13 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I've been sick less but I also contributed it to taking vitamins and being stronger to fight stuff off.  My allergies are still killer though :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

peachpie
on 9/19/16 6:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I rarely caught colds before surgery, no different after. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/19/16 7:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't know of any research specifically addressing weight and colds-- but I bet there's a link between overall health and your immune system. Many folks feel better in general after surgery since we eat much better, get more exercise, take vitamins, drink enough water, all that jazz. So I wouldn't be surprised if THAT is why some people seem to get sick less often!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/16 8:26 am - CA

I don't think there is anything specifically related to WLS that makes us more susceptible to colds or the flu.    I don't see myself getting more colds or having the flu more often, over the last 15 years.  I think in some cases, it diminished a bit.   However, as I have gotten older it has gotten more difficult to get over them (they seem to linger, longer)   During those times, I up my vitamin c and other vitamins just for good measure.  Does it help reduce the symptoms of the the cold/flu, not really.   But, I don't feel so crappy from time to time.    

dog_hair_dinner
on 9/19/16 9:03 am
RNY on 03/01/16

I have no idea if weight lowers your immune system or not. 

I used to be sick a lot.  Like once every 2 months.  I started going to the gym every day about 2 years ago, and I've been sick once.  I didn't change anything else in my life, so that must have been it. My weight was pretty stagnant for the year and a half before I got surgery.

Most Active