Nutribullet/Smoothies

peachpie
on 10/18/16 8:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

So I randomly decided to buy a nutri bullet-- after a dietitian suggested that I can try an incorporate more green veggies via juicing. I'll say- I must be the go big or go home personality type-- cause a normal person likely wold have started off just by buying a green smoothie from somewhere to try it. Not buy the appliance and all the foods needed for it...but that's besides the point...

I made one this morning. It had spinach/kale, carrots, apples, pear, raspberries & blackberries. I would have added protein but didn't have anything unflavored. My son said it looked like BBQ sauce once it was blended (true). My problem is it made WAY too much-- like 20oz. I was only able to drink like 6oz- and I had to add a smidgen of splenda. And I only used a 1/2 apple and 1/2 pear-- seems wasteful. (I did eat the rest of the pear). I've already decided that I'll saute the rest of the spinach/kale with shrimp-- I prefer to chew my veggies-- not drink them. 

Definitely not my favorite thing-- but something I could learn to live with. Any tips/favorite combinations from nutribullet users?? 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

SkinnyScientist
on 10/18/16 9:08 am

ok..first, Not judging you. Just wanting you to be aware:

1) watch for extra calories and sugar (in the apples, pears and berries).

2) If you are an RNY'er that liquid juice is going to drain through and wont keep you satisfied for hours and hours.

With that said, pre-op, I juiced and green smoothied. I was 300 lbs. I lost 30 lbs and it was the ONLY 30 lbs I didnt gain back.

So. Again..no judgement. Please just remember there are extra calories and sugars in some of those ingredients.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/16 9:50 am

I only use things like that when I try to gain weight... like now...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/16 10:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There really isn't much nutrition in green veggies. And adding in all those calories in fruit and whatnot won't do you any favors. 

I really, really don't mean to sound snarky Peach. Ignore the dietician, keep taking your vitamins, and ditch the smoothie for a piece of chicken.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mute
on 10/18/16 10:33 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I juiced for a very long time before surgery because it helped my IBS. I got to really like it actually and was able to add flax see and something else that was very healthy that I can't remember right now lol.

I stopped after I had the surgery due to the amount of sugar from the fruit I didn't want to add to my diet.

What I liked the most was a combination of kale and spinach, carrots, and an apple. I would try to ditch the other fruit as much as you can just to cut down on the sugar/calories per cup as well as the amount. Without as much fruit you will have to add Splenda for sure. Oh and a lemon was good in there too.

And it never looked tasty lol. EVER.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

peachpie
on 10/18/16 11:00 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. This definitely won't be any sort of daily habit, occasional at best. Honestly I toyed with returning the nutribullet as I thought about it because I don't see myself using it often. But my family is eager for me to make them concoctions-- so majority rules I guess. 

As I've said- I tend to be more liberal than most with carbs- and don't treat them as taboo as most do- especially fruit/veggie based carbs. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

mute
on 10/18/16 11:06 am
RNY on 03/23/15

If you're going to be making them for your family too I want to add that veggies juiced definitely don't taste that good as I'm sure you've found out lol! DH would juice too occasionally and he would use way less veggies than I would and would do a lot of berries. He liked limes in there too for a little flavor. Carrots help with the flavor too.

I despise beets with a fiery passion in juices - they taste like dirt to me but some people like them lol.

Oh cucumber - that's the other thing that was my staple. Very easy to add and adds a lot of flavor as well.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/16 12:26 pm

Than can be good to make into popsicles.  I added some fruits to my diet and I use Vitamax to make very smooth shakes like blended items to make popsicles. as a treat- I use 1 or 2 when I want something cool. 

I have magic bullet - and I wait for it to die so i can justify buying the nutribullet..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 10/19/16 8:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I make an occasional green smoothie - spinach is my main veggie and I always use protein powder. If you don't have plain use vanilla... You need protein to balance the carbs, and 1/4 or an 1/8 of an avocado will give you healthy fat and low carb... rather than a banana to get creaminess. I freeze avocado slices and you can use them in a smoothie.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/18/16 11:09 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I like my nutribullet but I stopped using it when my smoothies became more fruity & less veggie like.  NutriBullet does sell these green powder items at Bed Bath & Beyond that has the veggie stuff in it, but they're kinda pricey, almost $20.00. I forgot how many servings are in it. Kale I think is very bitter & will overpower a smoothie.

There is a smaller mixing container, it should've been included with your nutri bullet, but the 2 sizes might only be in the pro version. You might be able to order the smaller size.

Try using fruit that's on the low side of the glycemic index to cut down on the sugar. I used to use frozen fruit, it usually lasted longer & I knew how many servings & calories each bag had. Hell you might be able to use Torani sf syrups instead for sweetness/flavor.

NutriBullet has a book of smoothie recipes. I bought it at the store & is buried somewhere in the house. lol It might be on Amazon

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active