First Post-New Member-have a few questions...

Jammur
on 10/18/16 10:22 am
VSG on 10/12/16

Hello All,

So glad I found this website. I have been reading lots of posts and I think there is a lot of good information being shared here, and for that I am thankful.

I had VSG surgery on 10/12/16, and I am still on clear liquids, but I am having a hard time finding anything that is low in sugar. I have tried fruit juice and ensure and the worst was the packaged chicken broth from Progresso. If anyone can suggest a better chicken broth or equivalent, I would appreciate it.

While I have your attention, I was wondering if anyone had an experience like I did. I was supposed to get my gallbladder out at the same time as my VSG (it is filled with gall stones), but the surgeon did not do it. He never came and told me why, just sent in his assistant who said I need to lose 60 pounds first then they could get to it. I knew my surgeon was not known for his beside manner, but this is the first time I didn't even see the surgeon after a surgery. I go in later this week for a follow up and I want to complain, but I don't know if I really have the right. Anyone go through anything like this? Any advice is appreciated.

pammieanne
on 10/18/16 11:10 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

So does clear liquids mean you can't have protein shakes? If so, then Isopure makes a clear protein drink that I got at GNC early out, in several flavors. I also bought hot and sour soup from the local chinese store, strained it through a small strainer, and used that as a clear broth. It was the best.ever.... at the time! LOL Also, boil up a chicken with plenty of spices, strain out everything, and you have some great clear chicken broth too! (Seasonings are key! freeze the chicken until you can eat it) You can also get the wonton soup and do the same thing, I just loved all the flavors in the hot and sour soups!

The liquid stage is the worst!

My surgeon isn't known for being the most personable, but he surely did show up in my hospital room the next two mornings that I was there.... I would have been bummed if he hadn't. Now, his assistant had quit on him the week before my surgery, so I don't know if it would have been her had she still been there, but I would have expected her to know every detail had it been. You've already had the surgery, you should at least let them know how you feel about it!

And welcome aboard! This is a great place, full of great advice, not frilly pats on the head... it's why I love it here so much!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Kathy S.
on 10/18/16 11:13 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Jammur,

Welcome to OH    If you have not done so, stop over to the VSG Forum and meet some great people.  Support and information galore.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

If you need anything with the site just let me know.

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Insert Fitness
on 10/18/16 11:14 am, edited 10/18/16 4:14 am

I wasn't on clear liquids long, but I stuck to water, herbal tea and veggie broth. Everyone seems to have different plans, depending on the surgeon/clinic. 

Edit to add: welcome to the boards! You'll find lots of useful info here!

chassibi
on 10/18/16 12:01 pm

I hate to be a skeptic, but I'm guessing he can bill more for 2 separate procedures. I'm not saying he's a jerk, just saying it's a business and I've seen it happen in medicine many times.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/16 12:32 pm

Sometimes they try to minimize how long the patient- specially MO is under anesthesia. The longer the time - the more things can go wrong. 

plus - once you lose the weight- he may have a better chance to see what he is doing inside you- and has less chance to nick the liver or have postop complication.  Sometimes when we are big and have a lot of abdominal fat - it may be very difficult to see inside - have room to manipulate the instruments. 

Not sure why you are trying to drink juice or things like ensure- they were never on my approved liquids post-op WLS.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

justsonya
on 10/18/16 12:46 pm
RNY on 09/01/16

When I was on clear fluids I'd send my husband to the Pho shop to buy tons of the broth there, and mix in unflavored protein powder. It tasted great and I got a lot more protein in that way.

Joshua H.
on 10/18/16 12:53 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

I was just thinking this.  Pho broth.

It's on the schedule to practice a faux pho broth -- starting with a beef stock and adding the requisite spices/etc.  

That being said, I would assume that a container of broth wouldn't cost too much from a restaurant.

Vinasu
on 10/20/16 11:05 pm
RNY on 08/10/16

I did the same thing! There is a pho place right next to his office, and he was bringing it home every night :-)

I could still eat pho every day!

HW: 250+ SW:215 (W leaving hospital: 224!)

CW: 138; DR GW: 166; MY GW: 130

M1: -20, M2: -8, M3: -14, M4: -11, M5: -8, M6: -5 M7: -7 M8: in progress

Donna L.
on 10/18/16 4:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

There are a ton of light juices (prepared) or crystal light which you mix that are low in sugar.  Skip full sugar fruit juice.

I bought a jar of Better Than Bullion chicken and beef broths and just made my own broth.  It was cheaper and I didn't have to lug 1 million cans of soup home to just have to toss them.

I also could drink protein drinks as soon as I came home (I was in the hospital 4 days or so) and that helped a lot.  This depends on what your surgeon says is kosher.  I also used Isopure clear protein drinks (which are more expensive) and Syntrax Nectar Whey Protein Isolate.

Popsicle brand sugar-free popsicles are a great choice too, for hydration.  Be aware they have sugar alcohols though, if you are avoiding them.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active