Meds and Vitamins

Cosmos2112
on 10/19/16 4:53 pm

i had all my blood work done and all is well. Vitamin D needs to be increased. It's a small capsule and easy to swallow. Now, I have problems with large vitamins. I know they have calcium citrate in a petite size. And B12 you can put under your tongue. Are chewable vitamins acceptable?  How soon after gastric bypass are the vitamins started?  I'm a bit leary about the patches. I also take generic synthroid but want to change to Armour thyroid. I have several relatives that use this and I think it maybe beneficial to me. I also take Crestor 5mg, prinivil (ace inhibitor) as well.  Plus diabetic meds: Jardiance, Victoza and Toujeo.  I'm hoping the diabetes is resolved. How low do my numbers have to be for me to get off diabetes meds? 

Im eating three meals a day and no liquids with meals. 

catwoman7
on 10/19/16 5:12 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

re: chewable vitamins - yes they're acceptable.  In fact they were encouraged when I was early out.  I still take a chewable multivitamin and vitamin C, in fact...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Cosmos2112
on 10/20/16 1:49 pm

Thank you catwoman7.  

Donna L.
on 10/19/16 5:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't know about the bypass, but many of us started on chewables for the sleeve.  

Armour thyroid is overkill for a lot of people, in some ways, but is a blessing for many.  Many with Hasimoto's benefit from Armor, WP Thyroid, etc... but if you have good T4 to T3 conversion you do not necessarily need to take it.  The benefit Armour has over Synthroid is that it has T3 as well as T4; it is made from desiccated pig thyroids.  It's also way more expensive than generic synthroid, btw.  If you are severely hypothyroid and/or have Hashimoto's, it's better to take a name brand version of Synthroid because the hormone dose is always the same.  With genetics there is a big variation.  It's not as essential if you are minimally hypo, though.

As for your diabetes meds, that's up to your doctor.  The day of my sleeve my fasting blood sugar was 180 something, and the next day it was like 82.  My diabetes immediately resolved - I was lucky and stopped mine after a few weeks.  That is a question to ask your physician, because diabetes is a complex illness.

Toujeo is insulin, isn't it?  If so you absolutely need to contact a doctor regarding that.  If you have any symptoms of low blood sugar especially contact your doctor ASAP.

Alas, I know nothing of cholesterol meds.  My highest was 180 at 750ish pounds, and currently it's 95, so I have the opposite problem, currently.  Again, I'd speak to your physician, as often cholesterol is genetic, too. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Cosmos2112
on 10/19/16 6:17 pm

It's a long acting insulin and I'm taking it because my fasting blood sugar was too high. Now it's about 125. Endo doc wants range for me 80 to 130. I still have two more visits with doctor and NUT plus one for psych. 

Cosmos2112
on 10/20/16 1:51 pm

Thank you Donna. My cholestoral was 156 four months ago. About the thyroid, I'll speak to my endo doc. Toujeo is a long acting insulin. My FBG was 125 this morning. 

Donna L.
on 10/20/16 2:25 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Good luck!  You are definitely off to a great start :)  I hope you are able to come off the insulin one day.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/20/16 2:34 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I use chewable calcium because I can't swallow those horse pills at any time.  They must be calcium citrate though (so not Viactiv - mine are from Bariatric Advantage).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Grim_Traveller
on 10/20/16 3:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That's a good warning. Lots of people use Viactiv because they're tasty, but they are the wrong kind of calcium. They won't get absorbed.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cosmos2112
on 10/20/16 1:52 pm

Thank you Liz. I'll bed to read labels. I want to avoid any added sugar like in gummy vitamins. 

Most Active