Dumping with revision?

Softballgal73
on 10/24/16 12:16 pm

Facing revisional surgery from VSG to RNY due to chronic acid reflux and regurgitation. I am 5 yrs post op from my sleeve. I have always had dumping with certain foods. Sometimes, I have dumping with things like soft cooked eggs! It is crazy. Sometimes no rhyme or reason to it.I am worried this will be even worse with RNY, am I right?? 

White Dove
on 10/24/16 12:31 pm - Warren, OH

RNY will cause dumping in about 30% of people if too much sugar is eaten.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rocky513
on 10/24/16 12:54 pm, edited 10/24/16 12:33 pm - WI

You can not dump on eggs.  You may be having an intolerance for eggs, but it's not the same as dumping. Dumping is a direct result of sugary foods being emptied (dumped) into the intestines too rapidly (because RNYers have no pyloric valve), causing the intestines to freak out and gather every drop of fluid it can to combat the sugar dump.  This fluid rush will cause nausea, sweating, rapid heartbeat, diarrhea, etc.

Eggs contain no sugar ...so it's not dumping.  Many folks have problems with eggs.  I am a dumper.  If I eat the way I'm supposed to eat (low carb, no sugar, protein forward)  I don't ever dump.

The culprit for issues with food after WLS is usually eating too fast, not chewing enough, or eating too much. One extra bite over the threshold can make you feel like crap.

Acid reflux can also create issues with food intolerance.  You might do much better with food after RNY and your reflux is under control.  I had a revision from VBG to RNY due to severe reflux and have not found anything that I can not eat. With my old VBG and excessive reflux, I vomited at every meal.  I can count on one hand the times I have vomited since my revision and still have fingers left over.  Those few times that I did get sick were because I did not chew enough or I ate too fast.  My fault entirely.

Reflux is way more dangerous than dumping (which is totally in your control).

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Softballgal73
on 10/25/16 9:15 am

Thank you, Thank you for these encouraging words!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/24/16 1:34 pm

I don't think anyone can tell you how you body is going to react in the future... Only time will tell.. and expect things to change over time - months and years....

I dump with too much sugar (only way too much, and only some types of sugar), I get "fat flash" (I get runs) - if I eat too much fat- and only some types of fat- ... and there is food intolerances... that makes anything else not important.  

try to get tested for food allergies - intolerances... they may improve with revision - or may get worse - or you may develop new ones. 

my food allergies - intolerances changed with time... same as for sugar/ fat intake..

think of your new anatomy as of "a baby's gut".. overtime "the baby" can tolerate more foods ...and different foods affect us differently as we get older... as my pouch matures - it tolerates more foods.. but if I **** it off... ugh....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 10/25/16 11:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Nothing left for me to add, the vets have you covered...  just wanted to say GOOD LUCK

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 10/25/16 11:21 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Here is a summary of what to expect after RNY (keep in mind everyone is different).  If you have not done so come hang with us RNY'ers over on the forum.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/life-after-roux-en-y-g astric-bypass-surgery.html

RNY Forum

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/16 11:35 am - CA

Watch your sugar and fat contents closely and you should be ok.  I am 15 years post op, I still dump.  I am thankful for that, because it keeps me away from the things I don't need.    If you mindfully choose what you are are eating, I doubt you will have issues.  

Good luck!  

Most Active