Input on Omega 3 or any fish oil supplements

sunshinespring
on 10/25/16 2:32 pm - Bay Area, CA

As I read about vitamins and supplements lately I read that we RYN's don't do well with oil base supplements

is that true? is it the same for this kind of supplements such fish oils?

I had my gastric bypass in 2008 is until now I am becoming familiar with vitamins/supplements needed for the body

thanks in advance,

White Dove
on 10/25/16 3:18 pm, edited 10/25/16 9:39 am - Warren, OH

Our stomach might not have enough acid to dissolve capsules.  Taking oil in liquid form is fine.  My surgeon told me if I need to take a capsule to put a hole in it with a pin and take with warm water.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sunshinespring
on 10/25/16 6:52 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you for the reply White Dove,

Will the be the same with all capsules? I take a few capsules and normally get cramps so maybe that's the reason why, maybe I should break the capsule and swallow the content with water,

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/16 3:30 am

Most capsules are made from gelatin. Gelatin dissolves in water. It does not need acid. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 10/26/16 8:04 am - Warren, OH

Thanks H.A.L.A.  Is was the Vitamin D prescription capsules and it was nine years ago.  Now he just tells me to take D3 pills.

White Dove
on 10/26/16 1:22 am - Warren, OH

You would need to ask a doctor about opening capsules. I just do not use them and only take pills or liquids.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/16 11:44 am, edited 10/26/16 4:48 am

I really like the results from taking Tonalin ( evening primrose oil and other Gamma Linolenic Acid )  capsules from the Vitamin Shoppe . I know they are being absorbed because when I take them I'm a lot less hungry ( especially for oily fried and fatty foods )When I remember to take them I can think and focus better and my body looks more toned . 

I've never opened capsules or taken liquid vitamins ( though I like chewables) but not fish oil! I tried a fish oil chewable once- Totally gross ! 

sunshinespring
on 10/26/16 6:30 pm - Bay Area, CA

thank you for the reply, I just read that Primrose Oil has a lot of benefits I am going to give it a shot, however what is the Gamma Linoleic Acid used for exactly,

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/16 6:23 am

it's the same active ingredient as in Evening Primrose oil. It can be found in other oils as well and I think somehow extracted. 

What I read it does is replace the specific oils our cells need to regenerate particularly our brain cells which use a lot of fat ... Relatively. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/26/16 9:10 pm
Vitalady recommends Coromega...she states that it is more easily absorbed...it's kind of like a cream that comes in a small packet. They also have Omega 3 gummies that you can chew.

Most Active