Aspire Assist procedure (?)

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/26/16 10:48 am, edited 10/26/16 11:29 am

An article was just posted about Aspire Assist : http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/aspireassist-a-low-risk-path-to-weight-loss

The article touts it as low risk and high patient satisfaction. You eat, chew very well, then after a short time you go to the restroom and empty the contents of your stomach using this device.

It it sounds like medically assisted bulimia ... but I'd love to hear from any patients here that have had done this.

not sure if an eating disorder style weight loss surgery is worth a 14% weight loss over the course of a year... 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Grim_Traveller
on 10/26/16 11:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

How this could get FDA approval is beyond  my understanding. It's disgraceful.

How is this non-surgical? Does your fairy godmother implant it with her magic wand?

People loved the lapband because it was supposed to be low risk, reversible, and minimally invasive. It turned out to be none of those things. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/26/16 11:27 am

Everything about this surprises and confuses me.  Yes, I don't understand how they can say it is non-surgical...???    And I don't understand how this is different than bulimia (other than the fact that it is doctor approved and that the food is regurgitated through a port installed in your stomach rather than through your mouth). 

I don't know how this wouldn't have long term issues similar to the lap band - because there is a port, and lots of corrosive stuff (stomach acid), and it seems like it could be easy to not chew the food sufficiently and get things stuck coming out.  

I'd rather just not eat something than to have to aspirate it.  

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

* Nicole *
on 10/26/16 4:01 pm

Honestly its the FDA. IMO they lost credability a very long time ago. How many things have they approved only to get pulled from the market because once 5 -10 yr results came in, so did the lawsuits.

But thats how they approved it. They get to look good for saying "Hey fat people here is our lastest gimmick to help you lose weight".

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Donna L.
on 10/27/16 1:48 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Because all that FDA approval requires is resources and networking.  It's notoriously horrible for psych drugs, as well.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

rachelp
on 10/26/16 11:24 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I saw that and my first thought was you've got to be kidding me!! Can we say medically induced bulimia?!!! I'm sure is can't stay forever so how does a person learn anything?? Ooops, I accidentally ate that whole pizza, I better go drain it out! This seems way worse than the lap band. What happens if the person doesn't chew and food gets stuck and clogs the dang thing? I guess you could never swim either.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/26/16 11:28 am

It does sound like something that would be published in The Onion.  This has to be satire, right?  

(It is real, though...)

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

mute
on 10/26/16 11:34 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm surprised an article about this is on this site in all honesty. But I generally don't read the articles so maybe I shouldn't be surprised? I agree that it seems like medically assisted bulimia and it's crazy to me that it's been approved to be used.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

The Salty Hag
on 10/26/16 12:09 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

It's disgusting...and a terrible idea. I just can't....ug.

I really hope no one ever gets this done, but I'm sure it will be "successful".

Should be a big NOPE!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/16 1:06 pm

this - IMO - is medically supported bulimia...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active