Physician Fat shaming

NYMom222
on 11/4/16 9:53 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Came across this article about a physician who fat shamed at a conference on Obesity. What?

Love Dr. Yoni Freehoff and his responses... here's an article that explains what went down:

Fat Shaming

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Eggface
on 11/4/16 10:30 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I've been following the tweet stream from the Obesity Week event this happened at (the two physicians he fat shamed were keynote speakers and they are awesome BTW) and the silver lining from it all is I think it really made the attendees (HUGE event it's all the surgeons ASMBS and the Obesity Society so the science, researchers and Integrated Health Profs) aware of weight bias and hopefully check themselves... I mean if it happens to them from one of their peers (who should know better) imagine what we face. There have been some interesting, thoughtful discussion from it... and LOL that Dr. umm got his ass handed to him ;)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Donna L.
on 11/4/16 11:30 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Fung is extremely anti weight loss surgery, so I suspect that's a huge part of it.  He believes everyone can lose weight by fasting and just eating low carb.  It's sort of ridiculous.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/4/16 10:32 am

That other doctor seems to have a real axe to grind.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Donna L.
on 11/4/16 11:29 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Wow, I just lost all my respect for Fung.  What a hypocritical doctor.  He has his own agenda, of course, and that's people have to follow his protocol to lose weight.  So disappointed.  If he dislikes their approach he can criticize their science and not their weight.  That's horrible and completely inappropriate.  Between this and his WLS comments I can't support him at all any more.  I regret even suggesting him previously. :/

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

SkinnyScientist
on 11/4/16 12:04 pm

people have to follow his protocol to lose weight.

-Yes that IS the catch isnt it?  Have to follow, WW, Jenny Craigs', Atkin's, South Beach, or the wedding dress's diet plans to lose weight.

Their way is SURE to work and if it doesn't you aren't trying hard enough or are cheating or doing something WRONG!

I am so glad to get off of that merry-go-round. WLS is THE ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. THE ONLY.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Donna L.
on 11/4/16 12:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

He's a huge proponent of fasting and eating low carb, stating it has the same benefits as WLS, so why get surgery?  Of course there are more metabolic benefits to surgery than that.  Additionally, the support I got from surgery versus my low carb diet was without peer.  I am so grateful for my weight loss team.  Forget my stomach being teeny...that makes a huge difference, too.

If we could all lose weight by simply not eating or eating low carb, no one would get weight loss surgery.  I doubt insurance would want to pay 40-70k a pop for procedures 250,000+ times a year if one diet plan worked.

I'm really angry about it, actually.  Even if you are anti-WLS, attacking people for their weight instead of their science is reprehensible.  I wonder what he'd think of me.  

SkinnyScientist
on 11/4/16 5:06 pm

He's a huge proponent of fasting and eating low carb

-I have fasted...I have low carbed. THose didnt work for me either. Even the hormone levels associated with my PCOS didnt change with low carbing and exercise. Today, I have WLS, low carbing AND exercise going. My hormones are at least temporarily back to normal again. 

The only things different in teh mix are: 1) WLS and 2) training for marathons for exercise (i.e. 1-6 horus of slow runnig at a shot) versus 2 hours at a shot tae-boing and body pumping..

I believe in surgery. I believe you can out-eat it. I believe "creative surgeons" can also muck things ups, but in general WLS surgeons that give normal operations and patients that stick to the plan will lose weight better than being on a diet. It will be easier too.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Donna L.
on 11/4/16 5:59 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Surgery also has an immediate and often permanent metabolic effect.  There isn't enough data to support fasting versus surgery.

I was in a similar boat.  One ovary after a 12 pound cyst.  No PCOS, but severe hormonal issues.  I had hit the wall after a ton of weight loss.  While I still have a ton to go.  I too have fasted and done low carb.  Heck, I lost hundreds of pounds with it.  I still reached the wall no matter how diligent I was.

I am so grateful for my surgery.  No, it shouldn't be for everyone.  I 100% do think that getting the majority of people to eat less processed food (and thus a lower carb diet) is a good idea.  While I need a knee replacement, surgery saved my life.  Just keto on its own never did that.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/4/16 4:08 pm
I'm not surprised. Doctors have been fat shaming for centuries. I can't tell you the number of times I was told to just eat less by doctors, and told that my back issues were all because I was fat (they were actually because of disk herniations).