Spreading the good word

Han Shot First
on 11/18/16 6:56 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm very happy to say that I've had a positive influence on two people who are now going to get WLS because of me.

One is a guy I work with that I've known for a long time.  He's obviously seen my journey, and how successful I've been.  We've talked a lot about it, and he's scheduled to get a sleeve in February.  I'm really happy for him.

The other is even more important to me:  my dad.  He actually started the pre-approval process before I did, but then they found out that their insurance excluded WLS.  But I'm thrilled to report that he's taking steps to switch his insurance in January, and so he wants to go forward with RNY next year.  I've been worried about him and his health, and I'm ecstatic that he's going forward with it at last.  

Right from the very beginning, I've never shied away from talking about my surgery or any details about it.  I've been very open with anyone who wants to know about it.  I'm really glad that my experiences are going to help them as well.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Mary Gee
on 11/18/16 7:16 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

That's great news.  I've never avoided talking about WLS....anytime anyone asked me about my weight loss, I sang its praises -- always saying it was a great tool, but was not a magical solution.  Even though I'm still struggling to reach goal, I probably would still weigh around 380 if not for the surgery and OH!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

White Dove
on 11/18/16 8:05 am - Warren, OH

My sister-in-law was obese in high school and spent years and many thousands of dollars on weight loss programs.  She was afraid of surgery.

I had my RNY on a Tuesday.  On Sunday, she called and asked how I was doing and I said I was cleaning house.  She said she didn't believe that and asked if she could come and see for herself.  When she got to the house and saw that I was back to normal she said she imagined I would spend months lying in bed in pain.

That had happened to one of her friends years before.  I told her I had laparoscopic surgery and had not even needed pain pills after I got home.  She called my surgeon the next morning and had her surgery a few months later.

Now she is able to live her life for the first time in smaller clothes and with much improved health.

Another friend decided she would take control of her life without surgery.  She started Weigh****chers and a gym.  It took her seven years, but she has dropped 100 pounds without surgery.

I have other friends trying to do it with different fads, like juicing.  They are afraid of surgery and I wish I could change their minds, but can't.  They stay obese and miserable.

Congratulations on inspiring your work friend and your dad.  You are a great example.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pr31
on 11/18/16 9:00 am

I just spoke with a coworker who asked how I was loosing all the weight.  We both have lost, gained, lost gained, etc. etc. over 100 lbs. throughout our life so I had no issues in telling her I had bariatric surgery.   I'm becoming more open about it.  She had lots of questions and said she may look in to it.  I told her it's not for everyone, but was very pleased with our program.  We work for a hospital, so the program is offered through where we work.  I told her about the 6 month supervised classes, consults, etc. and mentioned that I thought that was great because it gives you time to decide if you are really ready for surgery, and if so, which type of surgery would be best for you.  We'll see.  I won't promote/push any health-care choice on anyone but given the right cir****tances will share my experience always adding the caveat that my experience may not be the same as theirs.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Kathy S.
on 11/18/16 9:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/18/16 4:12 pm
Good for you! I never told anyone until I was at goal. I showed up to a family gathering 200 lb less. I had several family members get the RNY after I had success with the DS because no one would do a ds in their area. Unfortunately, one only lost 30 lbs and regained all plus some, and the other got to goal and has been fighting a huge regain. The other went for the lap band, I won't go there.
roxytrim
on 11/19/16 5:07 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

What a nice 'gift' for your pop  You will be able to calm any fears he may have and be a personal support group for each other.  

I'm a big proponent of getting out of the WLS closet.  The more that people realize obesity is a serious health problem that can be treated successfully with medical intervention,  the less shame we will all feel about the road we have travelled.

NYMom222
on 11/19/16 7:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It is exciting to be a good influence, and it is exciting when it is in your own family! So happy you can support your Dad. I know 2 people who had surgery because they saw how well I did. My one good friend wanted surgery at the same time I did, but her insurance excluded it.....but when she and her husband saw how well I did...they spent the money. Now her husband is even considering it.....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active