RNY to Distal RNY? Any success

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 11/26/16 1:35 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I am so frustrated...I have been looking for a surgeon in my location (NJ) who will revise me from an RNY to DS to no avail...after 3 surgeons I have one willing to operate but only revising me from an RNY to Distal RNY and doing nothing to my stoma, which is enlarged.  My pouch is of normal size for my time out...Please, please, please I hope there are some success stories about this procedure...I am currently on my 3 month supervised diet...Thanks in advance

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/26/16 2:47 pm
Dr. Roslin in manhattan is a VERY experienced revision surgeon. You really want to have someone do the surgery that has done many of them before. Revisions are much more difficult than "virgin" surgeries.

I don't have the answer to your questions. All the revisions I've see have been RNY to DS ...VSG to DS....(etc...but usually a revision to the DS).

Again, make sure you find a VERY good revision surgeon. One whit a lot of experience, that has done many of them, and will try other things first before doing a full revision.

Scott
Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 5:32 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I heard that Dr Roslyn doesn't do the straight DS...he does the SIPS or Loop...I could be wrong though...thanks for your input

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/1/16 5:41 pm
He does both...but I woudn't accept the SIPS. Too much risk of bile reflux.

Scott
Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 5:42 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

So he does the original procedure as well as the SIPS?

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/1/16 6:37 pm
That is my understanding. He has done 1000s of traditional DS's. He pushes the Loop DS...don't know why, but he does. I personally would not get the Loop DS....I think it's a bad hybrid...but that is my opinion.

Scott
Beam me up Scottie
on 12/1/16 7:20 pm
BTW I would travel for a revision surgeon. There is a list of surgeons on DSfacts.com

http://www.dsfacts.com/duodenal-switch-surgeons.php

I think I heard Dr. Greenbaum in NJ does revisions.

Scott
Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 8:58 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

I'm seeing Dr Greenbaum...and hr won't do the DS on me only a Distal RNY

NHPOD9
on 11/27/16 7:25 am

I am not a distal revision; I was given a distal from the start. 

In my experience, the distal will only make it more difficult to keep your labs up. Weight loss is still determined by what you eat. If you eat a lot of carbs, you will still absorb those calories. Plus, an enlarged stoma implies you've been eating large quantities of food. A distal won't help with that either. Some people like to state that the distal has all of the problems associated with the DS, but none of the benefits. I'm not sure if it's the best decision. Have you tried going back to basics, eating protein dense meals and weighing/tracking food? 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Christine Knorr
Wiatrowski

on 12/1/16 5:38 pm - Ventnor City, NJ

Thanks for responding...yes, I did mess up with my RNY and went back to eating carbs and sweets but I've learned from that and I'm looking for another shot at getting healthy...just don't know if I should accept Dr Greenbaum's distal procedure or look beyond NJ for a surgeon that may agree to do the DS

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1139 views