Visiting France. Tips?

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/16 10:11 pm

Hello All,

In a few weeks my family and I will be visiting Paris, France. I'm so pumped. But also a little nervous.

1. I'm afraid of being treated poorly due to my weight in a country that is stereotyped as svelte. 
  2. I'm afraid of not fitting into resteraunt seats or any public space/monuments.

does anyone have any experience with traveling in Paris as a significantly overweight individual? Eek. I'm excited but so nervous for how I will be treated.

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/16 10:13 pm

Also, as 300 pound American, I know I can't blend in completely. But are there any ways that I can be a little more discreet? (Fashion, food, etc)? 

Insert Fitness
on 12/7/16 4:53 am

You will love Paris!!

I had some of the same stresses as you, but in the end, I had zero negative interactions. Paris is the biggest tourist destination in the world. While parisians may not have the obesity rates as North America, they get millions of visitors a year. You won't stand out at all. I only had great customer service, but have heard stories of servers correcting grammar etc. nothing weight related.

to answer you questions:

1.in my experience, anyone from France I've met i would categorize as blunt or direct. Not rude or cruel. I can't imagine anyone calling attention to your weight. Just know a couple of basic French sentences, which I'd do in any country, and you'll be fine!

2. All public spaces, monuments, museums etc will be super easy to navigate. Same for most bistros, and cafes. But here's how I navigate those spaces:

Depends on who you are traveling with, but if you are being super organized and know what restaurants you want to go to in advance, i search them online for photos so I could see if the chairs have arms or not. If you just want to wander and choose a place, I look in the windows while others peruse the menu outside the front door. That way I can see if it will be easy to navigate, and again what the chair situation is.

all the bakeries and many cafes do take away as well, so you can always picnic (maybe not in January though... haha)

My biggest tip though: wear practical shoes!! There are stairs everywhere! this is also something to think about if you or someone in your family has mobility issues. There are ways around it, but I walked everywhere. It just means you'll have to do a little extra planning.

Hope you have an amazing time!!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Tri_harder
on 12/7/16 4:54 am

I was in Europe a couple of weeks ago, but not Paris.  People were all different sizes.  They walked and biked more, but ate multi course meals.  I am obese and I smile and laugh a lot.  People were really nice to me and bent over backwards to overcome language differences.  I really liked Europe a lot.  I would love to sell the house and live there for a couple months (and get to Paris).  Have a great trip...keep smiling!  Tri

Gwen M.
on 12/7/16 9:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

On the "positive" side of things, there will be lots of other tourists so it's not like it's just Parisians.  And the standard American diet has spread everywhere, so obesity is up in every country.  I wouldn't worry too much about #1.  You're more likely to be treated poorly due to being American than due to being obese.  

As for #2 - I think you'll be okay in public spaces.  I went to Norway when I was SMO and never had an issue physically fitting anywhere.  I don't remember sitting in any booths in restaurants, just chairs, and I could fit in those.  (I was ~320 and 5'4".)  

One thing that was challenging was all the walking, and I was in "good shape" when I went to Norway the first time.  I was at the gym regularly doing an hour on the elliptical.  But walking around Oslo and everywhere else was exhausting.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

catwoman7
on 12/7/16 9:32 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I've never had problems in France - no stares, no rude remarks.  Not even in Paris.  Nothing.  The only place I've been where I've really felt uncomfortable about my (former) weight was China.  I was stared at wherever I went.  But never in France.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/16 9:43 am

Just remember you are starting to do something about your weight loss. So this is a start to a new chapter in your life. So enjoy going. 

There are so many who will never get to see Paris or any other place. 

Have fun and enjoy. 

Cosmos2112
on 12/7/16 5:33 pm

I've been to Paris several times. My last visit was in Feb and March of this year. I only bought a few t shirts. The clothes run very small..  There are plus sizes but they sell the same stuff in the states. Although the accessories are fabulous. I didn't have a problem with seats or chairs. But, get two good pair of walking shoes. I had a pair of Vionics and Adidas trail shoes, both broke in well. I also have orthotic inserts due to a very high arch. I bought a pass called the Navigo decoverte. One low price for a week of bus and metro travel. The metro is not as clean as the London tube. A huge difference. I averaged walking 7 miles a day. 

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Scififiend
on 12/7/16 8:08 pm
RNY on 10/11/16

When I went to Paris, I was nearly 300 pounds, and I didn't have a single problem....other than the part where my shoes (which were comfortable enough at home) crossed the broken in/broken down line somewhere along the Seine. So, make sure your shoes are new enough to offer support during A LOT of walking, but broken in enough to be comfortable. I went in January, also, and that is the BEST time for Paris, IMHO. The crowds are small, the lines are almost nonexistent (except at Norte Dame, but that's because there's not a lot of room inside). And I found Parisians to be mostly friendly, especially if you make an effort to speak French and be polite.

Don't worry about public spaces; you should be fine. I didn't have trouble with restaurants. I did breakfast at the hotel and usually a tart or something small that I enjoyed on a park bench while people-watching for lunch. The only weight-related issue I had was the shower. I stayed in a small side-street hotel, and my shower was very small, with a door opening of only about 16". 

Have be a great time, and say "Bonjour!" to Paris for me!

HW: 408, SW: 384, RNY: 10/11/16

Heather_Austin
on 12/8/16 4:07 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Paris is amazing and you'll be fine.  The last time I went my husband was in a wheelchair after surgery on his foot (he detached his heel about 6").  The only "issue" I found is that some of the restaurants in the heart of the city especially be the Eiffel tower are super tight.  Also, some of the locals want you to speak French.  They give in and speak English after my failed attempts!  Have a blast and don't worry about it.  

Heather - Austin, TX

Most Active