Laxative or stool softener? (TMI Post)

April Parker
on 12/7/16 2:04 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Ok so, my BM are regular but they are hard and they really hurt. I have to strain, and I know I'm not supposed to. Especially since right after I had my baby girl, I've had probs with hemorrhoids. (I think, the doc said he didn't see any, but they could still be there, and this was a bit after I had the baby. She's 2 now.) But I have the symptoms of them, like pain, itching, burning, and bright red blood in or after BM.

Sorry for the TMI... but I trust there are some vets here who know of good ways to solve this...

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/7/16 2:35 pm

miralax. that is the only thing that works for me. 

Laxative - makes my muscle cramp.. and they are addictive.  they can cause dependency. Most of them would not change the consistency of the BM.   Miralx in my morning coffee.. magnesium at night. and lots of liquids during the day 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

The Salty Hag
on 12/7/16 3:26 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

A capful of Miralax ( or the store brand equivalent) mixed into my morning coffee, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of fat ( healthy fat ) in my diet works for me. 

I also take carbonyl iron, which is much less likely to cause constipation than ferrous sulfate. ( not sure what, or if, you take. ) 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/7/16 3:56 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You need something more.  I use benefiber in my yogurt once or twice a week.  I do not need it every day.  Find out what works best for you.  You are right, straining is not good.

Sharon

hollykim
on 12/7/16 3:59 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2016 at 10:04 PM Pacific Time, April Parker wrote:

Ok so, my BM are regular but they are hard and they really hurt. I have to strain, and I know I'm not supposed to. Especially since right after I had my baby girl, I've had probs with hemorrhoids. (I think, the doc said he didn't see any, but they could still be there, and this was a bit after I had the baby. She's 2 now.) But I have the symptoms of them, like pain, itching, burning, and bright red blood in or after BM.

Sorry for the TMI... but I trust there are some vets here who know of good ways to solve this...

if you are able to go you might not need a laxative regularly. 

I had had good luck with stool softeners taken every night. 

With my dr approval, I took as many gel caps a night as necessary to get a soft stool. 

At one point, that was 6 caps a night. At another point it was 12 caps a nite, when I had to take a med also known for causing constipation. 

Two caps prob won't do a thing for so they can be upped 

missc_26
on 12/7/16 7:24 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I would suggest going the natural route and having a kiwi fruit or 2 a day. These can be mashed, added to yoghurt, smoothies or just nibbled on as you feel up to it (no skin obviously). They are super high in fibre and vitamin c and really help keep you regular and soften the stool.

Good luck

April Parker
on 12/7/16 7:33 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Even if I've eaten several prunes a day for 3 days and that still doesn't help? Is Kiwi better than prunes? If so, I see a trip to the store for some kiwi, lol. But I think I am gonna have to try the Miralax if that doesn't work. 

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

missc_26
on 12/7/16 8:54 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I've found kiwi really good (better than prunes) but you could start with the miralax and also incorporate kiwi into your diet to keep things working.

There's a product called kiwi crush which has little ice blocks of kiwi, found in frozen foods here and I'm pretty sure it's exported or you can find something similar. This was a life saver for me but literally will clean your whole system out so tread carefully ;-)

Brandi Girl
on 12/8/16 11:02 am
WLS on 10/18/11

Even 5 years out I still take one stool softener daily. I eat so much protein is what I'm told by Dr. that it can be a common problem. When my system is really bad I up it until I get "cleaned out" then go back to and STICK with one per day.

ttfan
on 12/9/16 2:06 am
RNY on 08/15/16

I take a probiotic every day since surgery and have no problems at all

High weight 335,Surgery weight 293.5,

M1- 24.5 lb,. M2 14, M3-9.5, M4- 7.5, M5- 6.5

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1366 views