Hi - Looking for a starting point...

kc574
on 12/23/16 6:14 pm - Bristol, IN

So, I'm new here... found this site from a basic internet search and decided to join. 

I'm not seeing a doctor for surgery at this point, but I hope to. 

I joined in hopes that I might be able to connect with other people who, like me struggle with weight and eating. I really don't have people that I can really connect with on this issue and I thought a site like this might be helpful. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/23/16 7:06 pm
Welcome.....there is a LOT of information on this site on old posts. Before you ask a question....just search the older posts first.....there are sometimes 100s of questions that come to mind when you start researching WLS....and believe it or not....almost all of us have asked them here!

Research, research, research.........look at all the WLS options. MOST OF ALL...don't jump into WLS. For a long time, I felt, I waited too long, I wish I had surgery when I was in my 20s...however, I know now I could not have handled it. The required supplimentation and just maturity necessary to take charge of my health and advocate for myself with medical professionals was not there when I was in my 20s.

SO research, make a good informed decision...and then go for it!

kc574
on 12/23/16 7:36 pm - Bristol, IN

Thanks for replying. :)

I totally agree. I've actually been considering (and researching) WLS for nearly 15 years, it's never been the right time or cir****tances and I'm ok with that. I kind of thought I waited too long when I didn't pursue it years ago (also in my 20's), but you're right it's a process of maturing and trusting in the right time. 

At this point for me, I'm just trying to start somewhere... not necessarily for surgery, but just some support with others as I attempt to get started with weight loss in general, which has been more and more difficult for me as I get older. At some point I will pursue surgery again, but not just yet.

I thought maybe this site would be a good resource to connect with people who can relate to some of the same struggles I have. In my immediate real world, people can't understand or relate to what I face. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/24/16 3:41 pm
We all were there!

At 440 lbs...I gave myself 1 year to lose weight, and get on track. I decided at the beginning of that year, that I was too fat, and that I needed to lose weight and if I couldn't do it the "natural way" through diet and exercise...I would have surgery.

I worked out...but could not control my eating. At the end of the year I was up over 40 lbs. I started to look at WLS....and went for 2 opinions> I chose the DS (Based on my surgeons recommendation)....I was 492 lbs at the time I had my consult....I lost 300 lbs in just over a year. I'm so glad I did it. I had surgery when I was a "healthy" fat person...I did not have diabetes...I did have back issues, but no knee issues....I did have mobility issues due to my sheer size, but no heart issues. I feel like I avoided all of those.

Scott
Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/24/16 3:42 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was at your point last September. I did preliminary research and had my first WLS appointment on December 2, 2015. They told me about OH, and what a resource it has been!  Most of what I needed to know I was able to learn from OH. And the support has been phenomenal.  I NEVER thought I would have WLS and didn't think online support was worth much.  I was wrong!  I still use the search all the time and enjoy reading about everyone's progress and posting my own questions/comments. One thing I have learned is to try not to be preachy, just give an opinion or relate a prior experience (same rule as when communicating online at anytime - at work or leisure).

Best of luck!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

peachpie
on 12/24/16 4:09 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Welcome!! I started in this site over 7 years ago- like you wanting support/information, but unsure if surgery was the right thing. 7 years ago I decided it wasn't, then nearly two years ago I decided it was. I'm glad I didn't move forward with surgery 7 years ago- I would have picked the wrong surgery and wasn't ready for the lifestyle change. So many say there only regret is not doing it sooner-- not me. I did it when I was ready. 

Use this time to learn about surgery, healthy eating, incorporating an active lifestyle etc. Merging healthy habits to a decision to have surgery will yield  your greatest success, but if you opt not to do surgery you will still have adopted some necessary habits to lose, or stop gaining. 

Also, it's important to work on our heads- why/how we got to me MO/SMO. I did a few years of therapy and it was totally necessary. 

Welcome- be active, you won't regret it.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

OneBlueSock
on 12/24/16 5:43 am
RNY on 06/21/17

Welcome, this is an excellent place to start!

Like others have recommended, search old posts for info, but don't be afraid to ask questions.  The folks here are quite helpful...we've all been through various types of journeys but we all have the same goal in mind...to be healthy and happy in our own bodies.   If you're a reader, I can recommend WLS for dummies (I'm actually reading it now).  I'm working towards a revision from a lap-band, and I wish I'd read it prior to my banding 10 years ago....I would have probably made some different decisions!

Kelsey

Banded: 9/14/06

Band Removal: 3/15/17

Revision to RNY: 6/21/17!!!

I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement & physics

kc574
on 12/27/16 9:55 am - Bristol, IN

Wow... you guys are all so awesome. Thanks for all of the replies and encouragement. 

I've never participated in any type of online group/website, is this forum the best way to communicate and ask questions? 

I wonder as I read your replies would you have done things differently leading up to having surgery as far as getting started? Is it best to focus on diet and exercise together or work on one or the other first and add the other later? I can see how this question can vary by individual since everyone is different and what works best for some might not work best for others but I'd just be interested in how you all have done it. 

I struggle with consistency! I start, but often times fail to follow through. I'll be honest I've not spent much time and effort in dieting in recent years because of just feeling like 'what's the point'? 

But I know what's the point as each day seems to get harder than the last. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/27/16 2:10 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, the forum is definitely the best way to ask questions. Read the threads to see what others are dealing with and you can pick up SO much advice!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1301 views