2 Questions. .

KattattaK
on 12/28/16 9:25 am

1. When I attended a weightloss surgery seminar at Alvarado Hospital earlier this year, Dr. Ellner stated that with sleeve surgery, a leak can occur at anytime during your life after surgery. I was under the impression that this was possible only up to a certain time after surgery and once it healed, it would no longer be a risk. I had never heard this and am wondering if anyone here has also been told this or knows anything about it?

2  Also, with the sleeve, what happens if a person develops stomach cancer and there isn't enough stomach to cut away?

I've also posted this on the sleeve forum. 

Thanks! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/28/16 10:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can't speak to number 1, but in regards to number 2, a VSG can be converted to an RNY if there's some sort of catastrophic stomach issue. I asked the same question of my own surgeon, and he said that as long as there's a small bit up near the top, then they can do a revision surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KattattaK
on 12/28/16 10:18 am

Julie, thank you sooo much for that information!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/28/16 10:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

No problem! That was my one big nervousness about choosing sleeve over RNY. That bit of stomach is gone forever, what would happen if you suddenly needed it back? Turns out that surgeons have thought ahead about that and have a plan for "worst case scenario," which was really reassuring to me... though luckily it hasn't been an issue. My surgeon said he's needed to do it ONCE in all of his years of practicing, which is super helpful to know.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy S.
on 12/28/16 10:34 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi KattattaK,

Give Dr. Ellner's office a call and ask for some additional details on these questions.  

Posting on the VSG forum is the best place also since you are reaching out to others that has had the surgery you are interested in.  I had RNY over 10 years ago and I too was under the impression leaking was a potential issue only after surgery?  Not forever?  Let us know what you find out

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

KattattaK
on 12/28/16 10:43 am

Kathy, I never even thought about calling the office to ask for additional information! Will do!

-Flo-
on 12/28/16 6:09 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I was told that a leak was only a real possibility during the immediate post op phase. The body creates alot of scar tissue surrounding the incision line which protects against further leaks. 

KattattaK
on 12/28/16 8:24 pm

Thanks, Flo! I've done some research online today and so far have come across surgeons discovering leaks im their vsg patients anywhere from 2 weeks to several months out. 

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/28/16 8:57 pm
I'm guessing anything is possible, however, from what I've seen, (again this is not a statistic just observation), I've never seen anyone years out post that they all of a sudden sprung a leak. I have seen people get ulcers, and even a few get fissures (this was more common in older surgeries...but again anything is possible)....but never a random leak.
califsleevin
on 12/28/16 10:08 pm, edited 12/29/16 12:01 am - CA
  1. As noted, anything could be possible, but the chances of a primary surgical complication such as a leak declines to near zero within a few months. Perhaps they are using this to justify some of their instructions that one must not do something "forever" as it might promote compliance better than the threat of regain?
  2.  The normal surgical treatment for stomach cancer is a form of the RNY gastric bypass. Depending upon where the problem is found and extent of damage, they can do a standard-ish RNY making a pouch with what tissue remains at the top of the stomach around the esophagus (though often larger than what is used for weight loss, if they have the tissue available), but with no remnant stomach left behind, or they can remove the entire stomach and fabricate a pouch from the intestine where the esophagus is joined. Having a VSG doesn't alter these basic protocols.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin